Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Dometic RM2453 External cooling fan questions

​Greetings,

I have a small Roadtrek Class B with a Dometic RM2453. ​It works very well on all 3 energy sources. When ambient temps get high 80+ it works a little harder and struggles a bit to keep up .

I am installing a home made fan setup. Consisting of:

Two low current 44 CFM silenz fans. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An adjustable snap switch/thermostat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An SPDT on-off-on switch to put the fans in auto or manual mode, and an indicator LED to tell me when the fans are on. I will try and attach a schematic.

Being a smaller RV, there is no outside access to the upper portion of the back of the fridge. I can get to the top of the horizontal coils, below the cooling fins, but I can't get to the fins without pulling the fridge which I want to avoid. I have full access to the lower half of the unit.

I expect to mount the fans, on top of the coils, blowing up towards the fins.

My question has two parts. Where should I put the thermostat on the fridge? And should it be in front of the fans (in the output), or behind the fans (intake)?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge Fan Schematic.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	160753  
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry I don't have a response for you question. I do like what your doing but I am curious if your done some research for your efforts. I have always been under the impression that those refers are affected more by ambient temps. I may be totally wrong and I would expect you to see some difference in temp.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

Hello Look-, and thanks for the reply. Yes I have done lots of research. The class B forum has lots of good information.

Class B Forums

Also, many youtube vids as well. The main issue with these "small" refers, is that (surprise surprise) they're usually used in "small" vehicles and as such, they have very little breathing room. The ventilation of the heat extracted from the inside of the refer is very critical. With high ambient temp, and the sun beating down on the outside of the camper, it gets pretty warm in there.

Here's one made by Dometic.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...specifications

A few vids...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...or+fan+install

Thanks for the reply.
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic, fan