Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Dometic RM2852 Refrigerator

I have the above in MH. Works great on Shore power or when running generator. Will not work properly on D.C. The electrode provides a spark, gas valve opens and burner lights. Burner is clean. The problem is the spark never stops. I checked the voltage going across the Thermocouple and it increased up to 35mv like in Dometic service manual. The D.C. Voltage is right at 14.5v (MH plug into shore power). Checked grounds and have less then 1 ohm across all ground connections. I have unplugged the AC power to control board and also set for gas operation only. Same result. Ideas ?

Thanks
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Not sure you have a thermocouple, many newer gas appliances don't. Instead, they sense flame through the electricity flowing between the electrodes in the ignitor. From pg 15 in the Dometic manual: "The igniter senses the flame thru the electrode
and communicates with the lower main control. The integrated
igniter used on certain Dometic model refrigerators
operates on 12 volt DC thru the control board. On gas
operation the igniter senses the resistance through the
flame between the electrode and burner. When there is no
flame at the burner, the resistance is high and the igniter
begins sparking to light the burner. As soon as the flame
is lit, the resistance between the electrode and burner
drops and the igniter stops sparking. The resistance is
monitored by the igniter, and, if for any reason the flame
goes out, the igniter begins sparking until the burner is lit.
This insures that the flame will always be lit when desired."

You might try gently wiping the electrodes to see if they've got soot or other dirt on them, keeping resistance high enough to continue sparking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #3

Thanks, I do have the older unit with the thermocouple. In the manual (page18 that I have) there is a diagram that shows the older unit with the thermocouple.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

Its ether the thermocouple or the relay isn't holding on the board or not sensing the flame. Most likely the board
12rvrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks. I'm thinking it probably the board, the thermocouple seems to be working correctly from what I can tell by the reading I get as it heat up. I'm going to remove the burner and make sure it clean and make sure all the power and grounds are good and tight.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

Well cleaned the burner, thermocouple and the ground connections and seems to be forking fine for the last 4+ days.

Thanks to all have safe trips down the road and Happy New Year.

Tags
dometic, refrigerator