RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Dometic ventilation fins freeze

We've got a Dometic Royale fridge in our Newmar Mt. Aire. It works well, but has a chronic tendency to freeze the ventilation fins. Do I have that terminology right? I mean the fins on the top shelf of the fridge section. We keep small items on that shelf, like yogurt and butter. We run the fridge at number 3, almost always on AC as we fulltime at a campground. It seems as if it needs defrosting every couple of weeks. That doesn't seem normal.

Any help?

Thanks
Art

Author of AVOIDING THE POTHOLES:ROAD STORIES IN A CHANGING AMERICA
blog: The Blog Of Fascination

artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #2

The most common culprit is the door gasket. Using a dollar bill, close the door on the bill at several places and try to pull it out. If it comes out easily the gasket is leaking, and should be cleaned thoroughly, if the bill resists pulling out, that section of gasket is good. If it does not pass the bill test after cleaning, replacement is the 2nd solution.
Many folks use a small battery-powered fan inside to move air around, which reduces condensation, and distributes cool more evenly.
The thermistor, located on one of the cooling fins, may be moved down 1/4" to raise the temperature a bit. Allow 24 hours for the frig to adjust completely. This should allow the ice/frost to melt a little and drop into the catch pan below it and drain away.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't forget to check your humidity switch @ the top of the fridge above the freezer door, make sure it is on. Good luck.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's it...

The "humidity" control button is probably turned "off. It's called by another name I believe.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
The "humidity" control button is probably turned "off. It's called by another name I believe.
The humidity control is named Climate Control and it turns on a 12 volt heater around the door gaskets to dry up humidity. Some Dometic refrigerators have that feature and some don't.

I have found if I keep the temperature set to number 4 the refrigerator will stay about 34-36 degrees and the fins will freeze over in 2-3 weeks. But if I set the temperature to number 3 the fridge stays about 38 degrees and the fins never get any frost or ice.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #6

Thanks. Our gasket doesn't hold money, that's for sure. We do have a humidity switch above the freezer, and it's been "On". I'll try moving the thermistor (is that a white sliding object at far right?). And we'll clean the gasket. I like the batter operated fan idea. This has been very helpul.

Art
artrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is normal for the fins in the frig to have some frost on them. But do check the door gasket for tightness and make sure the door is fully closed.

Ken
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #8

Yes Art the white sliding object is the thermisiter. Look at the frig PC board, top left corner. It might have a thermister adjustment pot, some do, most do not. On your door gaskets, before replacing it, try heating it with a hair dryer and re-forming it (pull it away from the door), this might work to make it seal better, but eventually it must be replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Frost on the fins comes from moisture in the air, and air gets into the fridge whenever you open the door or if the door gasket is leaky. Folks who tend to have the door open a lot (e.g. trying to decide what item to get out) have more frost problems than those who do not. And a leaky door seal constantly lets in warm, moist air.

The climate control switch won't affect frost on the fins - it is for condensation around the edges of the door. But if you turn the Climate Control off and see a lot of water build-up around the door, that's another sign of a leaky door gasket.

Moving the thermistor on the fins changes the temperature, biasing it either up or down. You can make it warmer inside the box and reduce frost that way, but you probably don't want it warmer inside. You could achieve the same thing by changing the temp control.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator vent