Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dryer times out before clothes are dry!

We have a Splendide 2000 W/D combo and have a problem. We would like to put in a load of clothes and leave for a day of sightseeing, but the max dryer time of 120 minutes is not enough to completely dry the clothes. My wife thinks that if we leave and the clothes don't completely dry that they will sour or mildew before we got back at the end of the day.

How do others handle this problem? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We have a Splendide 2000 W/D combo and have a problem. We would like to put in a load of clothes and leave for a day of sightseeing, but the max dryer time of 120 minutes is not enough to completely dry the clothes. My wife thinks that if we leave and the clothes don't completely dry that they will sour or mildew before we got back at the end of the day.

If your dryer is vented to the outside, maybe reduce the load size a little. We haven't had that problem. Could you have a lint build up in the vent hose that could be compromising air flow.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve is likely on the right track. We have a Splendide 2100, and we find that it is rather load sensitive. Interesting to note that the recommended load limit for the wash cycle is 15 lbs, but for the dry cycle 11 lbs. Perhaps that is accounted for by the weight of the wash water, but we have found through experience that smaller loads work better. These fairly small drums do not allow the clothes to tumble as loosely as a home dryer does, so the use of a moisture sensor and an open timer won't work as well. Also, a 110v heater is not as robust as a 220v. However, unless you're dealing with sweatsuits or biiiiig bath towels, 120 minutes ought to dry what's in there.

Slightly damp clothes can sit in the machine for a few hours with no ill effect. Overnight? No, but a few hours yes. But, as we all know, that is not the point. If she believes they will sour, then they will smell sour.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

As has been said, too large a load is one cause for it to take too long to dry. The Splendide can wash a larger load than it can dry.

Another cause for long drying times is a clogged vent, assuming you have a vented model. That is especially true if the dryer used to work better than it does now.

In addition to lint in the vent hose, which is easily cleaned out, there is a rubber boot inside the cabinet that connects the shell around the drum with the cabinet. The boot is behind the plastic fitting where the flexible hose attaches, and you need to remove the back cover to access it. The design of the boot is such that it restricts air flow and traps lint.

If the vent is plugged, continuing to operate the dryer can cause the electric heating element to overheat and burn out. Ever since that happened to us, I remove the boot and clean it out twice a year since we are full-timers and use our Splendide a lot.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks! You've given me some things to check!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote