Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Dual Inverters - Not the same?

Our rig currently has 2 Xantrex Freedom 458 2k Watt inverter / chargers. One of them (#1) has failed, but #2 continues to work fine, and has minimal load on it. I have no interest in replacing the failed unit with the same Xantrex again. I'd like to replace the failed #1 with the Victron Multiplus unit (so my residential fridge can be on pure sine wave), while keeping the old Xantrex #2 in place. Ideally, when #2 bites it, I'll replace that with a Victron Multiplus also

My question is, could this cause charging issues, given all 8 of my 6V batteries and the 2 current inverters are connected together on the DC side? Essentially they both pull from the full battery bank, and both of them charge that bank together. I'm trying to make sure the old Xantrex inverter and new Victron inverter don't fight each other trying to charge the bank of batteries. The 8 250amp/hr 6V batteries we have give us great performance and don't want to screw them up.
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

As long as you set the charging voltages close to the same on both inverters all will be fine.

If one is set a bit higher, it will do the absorb and float charging when the batteries are near topped off. At that point, you dont need the amp output of two chargers anyway.

In bulk charging, both will be at full output amps, or what ever you limit them to, until the battery bank reaches the absorb voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

I agree with twinboat.
Or, you could disable the charger on one inverter. I doubt you'd really need both of them unless you have a huge battery bank.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
As long as you set the charging voltages close to the same on both inverters all will be fine.

If one is set a bit higher, it will do the absorb and float charging when the batteries are near topped off. At that point, you dont need the amp output of two chargers anyway.

In bulk charging, both will be at full output amps, or what ever you limit them to, until the battery bank reaches the absorb voltage.
Ok...thanks. The 8 batteries together are putting 1004 amp-hours. At about 50% depth of discharge, the 2 Xantrex Freedom 458's would charge them in about 70-90 minutes on 50A. It's been a good size for us.

I did some more research. And found specs on both inverts in my future setup:

Xantrex Freedom 458:
Bulk Charge Voltage: 14.3
Float Charge Voltage: 13.4
Equalize Charge Voltage: 16.3

Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120
Absorption Charge Voltage: 14.4
Float Charge Voltage 13.8
Storage Mode: 13.2
Old 07-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

The wiring will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abeona_Inverting.png
Views:	68
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	211209  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

You can we what Xantrex call bulk voltage, Victron calls absorbsion voltage.

They are only a tenth of a volt different and will be fine working together.

As far as the bulk or absorb voltages, both chargers are in constant current mode, pushing ad many amps as the batteries will accept, until the batteries voltage comes up to 14.3 or 4.

That's when both chargers will go into constant voltage mode and start tapering off the amp output, while maintaining the voltage.

They will remain at that voltage for a pre-determined time ( absorb time ) before tapering back to float voltage.

You need to check your battery specs to see if the float voltage is OK for your batteries. If not, there should be a way to adjust it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can we what Xantrex call bulk voltage, Victron calls absorbsion voltage.

They are only a tenth of a volt different and will be fine working together.

As far as the bulk or absorb voltages, both chargers are in constant current mode, pushing ad many amps as the batteries will accept, until the batteries voltage comes up to 14.3 or 4.

That's when both chargers will go into constant voltage mode and start tapering off the amp output, while maintaining the voltage.

They will remain at that voltage for a pre-determined time ( absorb time ) before tapering back to float voltage.

You need to check your battery specs to see if the float voltage is OK for your batteries. If not, there should be a way to adjust it.
Good point! I checked with US Battery and they stated below. Looks like I'll have to see if I can wind the Float charge back some to meet their spec:

Following is the charging recommendation and charging profile using 2 stage chargers for US Battery deep cycle products.
*Equalization and float charge modes are not considered to be one of the stages in a charging profile.
1. Bulk Charge Constant current @~10% of C/20 Ah in amps to 2.45+/-0.05 volts per cell
(e.g. 7.35 volts +/-0.15 volts per 6 volt battery)
2. Absorption Charge Constant voltage (2.45+/-0.05 vpc) to 3% of C/20 Ah in amps then hold for 2-3 hours and terminate charge
Charge termination can be by maximum time (2-4 hr) or dV/dt (4 mv/cell per hour)
• (Optional Float Charge) Constant voltage 2.17 vpc (6.51 volts per 6 volt battery) for unlimited time
• Equalization Charge**Constant voltage (2.55+/-0.05 vpc) extended for 1-3 hours after normal charge cycle (repeat every 30 days)

Tags
inverter