RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dual Pane Window Repair- Sort Of

Just thought some of you might want to know if you don't want to spend the time and money to repair or replace a fogging dual pane glass, I did another option which serves me well and cost less than $20.

The entry door window was beginning to fog with a slight haze. I could tell it was going to get worse and possibly etch the inside of the glass eventually. No one in my area knows anything about stuff like this, I checked. To properly repair it would be a dis-assembly, clean and reseal the 2 panes. And they don't last a long time either I hear. I did look into the folks who sell a DIY repair kit for RVs etc. but I did not think it would hold up over time.

I pulled the single window out (I had a helper to assist on the other side while I pushed it out and it was sealed very well) and took the 2 panes apart and cleaned the butyl sticky stuff off and cleaned the glass and it was good. I did not replace both panes. I only replaced one of them making it a single pane window. One single pane will not make any real difference for me as we live and camp in the lower 48's and can live with it.

I found a glass shop that had some rubber molding that I improvised to work to take up the space left by the gap and other pane I did not use. I also put some clear silicone caulking around the edge of the rubber and glass to seal it in place. I got a roll of butyl tape from the glass shop and used it on the side wall before inserting the window frame back in.

I now have a perfectly clear entry door window that will never fog again. This window was an isolated situation. I don't know if I would use this method on any of the other dual panes in the coach if they go bad. If I had a reliable repair facility nearby, I might consider it. In this case, however, I would do a single window myself.

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One day when the weather conditions are just right you WILL experience moisture dripping down the window on the inside. That's what you end up with when you have single pane windows.

If it were me and my coach window it would be fixed correctly with a properly sealed double pane window. My coach is over 13 years old and the double pane windows are all still good. Maybe someday I will have one fog up but I've been fortunate so far.

Your coach your choice. Just trying to point out the disadvantage of single pane windows.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey Richard, it's been over a year and a half since we last discussed stuff. At that time I put in a Samsung RF-197 fridge with your input. It's been running full time since then.

I said sort of because I really did not have anyone who could fix it in my area or anywhere within reason. Even the Escapees near by in Livingston did not have a source. So I tried this and if it's a big problem, I still have the other pane that can be used to put it back together if I ever have a source that can fix it properly.

I had another National Dolphin that had single panes and didn't have any real issues. Maybe lucky, I guess.

Regards John
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John,

Glad to hear that your Samsung is running great. Other than the two initial problems with mine I have this one nagging problem left that only a service technician will most likely be able to solve.

My freezer used to maintain a temp of between 0F and -6F or so while set at -4. Now the freezer swings in temperature by 20 degrees each day. It will go as low as -10F or so and as high as +10F. It never stays at the higher temps for very long before it's back down to well under 0F. Some days it will only climb to +5 or +6 degrees and then back down.

It could be a bad sensor but I have done an on-board diagnostics test with no error codes displayed. Or possibly it's the main brain control board.

No time to have it looked at right now and the food is staying well frozen so until I have a catastrophic failure or time where I can have someone do some trouble-shooting on it it is what it is.

Regarding places to have the window fixed I have heard that the RV Fog Doctor is good plus RV Glass Solutions. Both are very reputable.

But if you are cool with the single pane then there is really no need to go to the expense.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey Richard,

I have not had a single issue with my Samsung thank goodness. When I go check on it in storage (once or twice a week) or when camping, it is always the same setting, no fluctuation. I keep ice cream there as a backup freezer for the house. Hope you find your issue and fix it if it comes to that.

The front windshields are obviously not dual pane (at least with no air gap) and do get wet when it is real cold outside and very warm inside especially if we have been cooking with more moisture in the coach. They dry off after a short while though. I expect the entry window may do the same with the single pane. I can live with that.

John
Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Hi John,

Glad to hear that your Samsung is running great. Other than the two initial problems with mine I have this one nagging problem left that only a service technician will most likely be able to solve.

My freezer used to maintain a temp of between 0F and -6F or so while set at -4. Now the freezer swings in temperature by 20 degrees each day. It will go as low as -10F or so and as high as +10F. It never stays at the higher temps for very long before it's back down to well under 0F. Some days it will only climb to +5 or +6 degrees and then back down.

It could be a bad sensor but I have done an on-board diagnostics test with no error codes displayed. Or possibly it's the main brain control board.

No time to have it looked at right now and the food is staying well frozen so until I have a catastrophic failure or time where I can have someone do some trouble-shooting on it it is what it is.

Regarding places to have the window fixed I have heard that the RV Fog Doctor is good plus RV Glass Solutions. Both are very reputable.

But if you are cool with the single pane then there is really no need to go to the expense.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Just a thought the samsung is frost free correct ?

Is it possible the timer that controls the defrost mode has a problem. That is sort of what I remember from the days of defrost timers. Temp would go up then the timer would start working again and the temp would drop back down.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

Just a thought the Samsung is frost free correct ?

Is it possible the timer that controls the defrost mode has a problem. That is sort of what I remember from the days of defrost timers. Temp would go up then the timer would start working again and the temp would drop back down.
Yes, it's frost free both fridge and freezer compartments have defrost heaters.

The defrost timers for each are part of the main brain control board providing that the thermistor's are working correctly.

Some day I will have it looked at by a Samsung technician.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
repair, window