RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

Dual Surge suppressors

One of the first things I purchased when we bought our RV (2015 Jayco Greyhawk) was a portable surge protector. There was the satisfaction of plugging it into the park 30A outlet, having the unit run through its 40 sec test and then have it pass power to the coach knowing the power was good. Several times I had it cut power due to fluctuations from the campground.
We have since upgraded to a 50 amp coach with a hardwired transfer switch/surge suppressor (SurgeGuard).2 concerns....

1) With the new coach, as soon as I plug in at the park, power is available in the coach. No timeouts-no checks. Is it actually testing anything prior to supplying power?
2) If there is an issue that causes the suppressor to need repair, there is no way to power the coach without it. With the portable I could always take it out of line.

So now the question for the brain trust. Has anyone used both a hardwired AND a portable suppressor at the same time? Has it caused and issues? GFCI trips? Id rather burn up a portable unit than to fry a hardwired one along with the transfer switch.

sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfergie631 View Post
So now the question for the brain trust. Has anyone used both a hardwired AND a portable suppressor at the same time? Has it caused and issues? GFCI trips? I’d rather burn up a portable unit than to fry a hardwired one along with the transfer switch.
The combination surge protector/transfer switch has limited protection. It doesn't hurt a thing to have a hard wired or portable EMS ahead of the transfer switch. It adds a first layer of protection and checks the post power before the transfer switch is engaged. My transfer switch has some surge protection, but I have a Progressive EMS hard wired ahead of the switch.

'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
1) With the new coach, as soon as I plug in at the park, power is available in the coach. No timeouts-no checks. Is it actually testing anything prior to supplying power?
Looks like according to their docs it has a 3-4 second delay and depending on which model has different levels diagnostics and protection:

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...sfer-switches/

I have a hardwired 30 amp surge guard with separate transfer switch. The stand alone Surgeguards have a 128 second delay. Its actually pretty annoying and seems excessive. The device can determine bad shore power and mis-wiring in under second, I guess the delay helps see if you just happen to plug in when its good then maybe voltage or something sags in the next couple of minutes, I have never seen that issue, it could sag 5 minute from now too or an hour, then it disconnects, no need to wait very long initially IMO.

Quote:
2) If there is an issue that causes the suppressor to need repair, there is no way to power the coach without it. With the portable I could always take it out of line.
Good point and I worry about that with both my surge protector and transfer switch, my backup plan is if one fails is I have the supplies / tools with me to bypass. It would only take a few minutes to do so with electrical tape and wire nuts etc.

Quote:
So now the question for the brain trust. Has anyone used both a hardwired AND a portable suppressor at the same time? Has it caused and issues? GFCI trips? I’d rather burn up a portable unit than to fry a hardwired one along with the transfer switch.
Stacking surge suppressors usually causes no issue and they are additive, each one acting as another gatekeeper, each one shunting more of what the previously one let through.
jharrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I have a hardwired 30 amp surge guard with separate transfer switch. The stand alone Surgeguards have a 128 second delay. Its actually pretty annoying and seems excessive. The device can determine bad shore power and mis-wiring in under second, I guess the delay helps see if you just happen to plug in when its good then maybe voltage or something sags in the next couple of minutes, I have never seen that issue, it could sag 5 minute from now too or an hour, then it disconnects, no need to wait very long initially IMO.
The two minute delay is there to protect the compressor on air conditioners, giving them time to bleed off head pressure before the power comes back on. The Progressive units are selectable for either the two minute delay or a 15 second delay. Some air conditioners have a built in delay either in the unit or in the thermostat, so the two minute delay is not necessary. I have my Progressive set for the 15 second delay since the Coleman RV comfort thermostats have the delay built in.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The two minute delay is there to protect the compressor on air conditioners, giving them time to bleed off head pressure before the power comes back on. The Progressive units are selectable for either the two minute delay or a 15 second delay. Some air conditioners have a built in delay either in the unit or in the thermostat, so the two minute delay is not necessary. I have my Progressive set for the 15 second delay since the Coleman RV comfort thermostats have the delay built in.
Not sure why a surge protector is concerned with aircon delay, if you just have a transfer switch, or manual plug (like mine came from the factory) there is no delay and the aircon must protect itself anyway. Also unless you shutdown the aircon or generator its going to hot transfer while running at least that what my transfer switch does, there is no real interruption of power the transfer happens after the 128 second delay. I usually shut the aircon down manually to prevent arcing on the transfer switch contacts.

Not sure if my Coleman with cheapy not digital thermostat had a delay originally, along with no surge protector on the system, but I have both a smart wifi thermostat and a Microair easy start that both have a compressor timer, so it would be nice to eliminate the delay I don't think my 30 amp Surgeguard has the option to shorten it.
jharrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sfergie631,

I wonder if you've actually seen the unit? Curious about what type and brand it is. Personally, I'd be more inclined to remove it and then go with a portable..JMHO.

Lt Dan- I'm assuming you have a 50A coach. Which unit do you have? I own a P.I. 30A portable and has no time delay selection. This is the first time I've heard of one that has that feature.

Thanks everybody.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Lt Dan- I'm assuming you have a 50A coach. Which unit do you have? I own a P.I. 30A portable and has no time delay selection. This is the first time I've heard of one that has that feature.
I have the Progressive EMS-HW50C hard wired. It's more than just a surge protector and guards against under voltage, over voltage, miswired pedestals, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Not sure why a surge protector is concerned with aircon delay, if you just have a transfer switch, or manual plug (like mine came from the factory) there is no delay and the aircon must protect itself anyway.
From the Surge Guard brochure:
128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #8

Have a hard wired surge guard on my 19 Discovery..alao bought a hughs autoformer i plug into pedestal 1st. It checks all circuits. If all 5 lights are green i plug cord into box and cover and padlock it to post. It will also boost power and keep voltage at 120-125 if power drops in campground due to lots of power use. Not cheap but worth the investment. Look up on their website

DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote