Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Ducted a/c - quieter and better airflow

Quieter: I have been looking at ideas to make it a little quieter without paying a bunch of money for the kit i saw somewhere. I was skeptical of the kit anyway. I decided that since I don't use the 'dump' vent at all, i would use a method similar to what i saw someone do on another site. Opinion: I don't think the dump vent cools it down any faster, plus in my unit it dumps right next to the thermostat and will probably make it cycle before the rest of the trailer is cold.

I used a bubble foil windshield shade i was no longer using. I carefully cut out a rectangle to snugly fit the dump outlet. I then used that as a template to cut 3 more so i would end up with 4 layers. One layer would have blocked the air leakage but 4 layers helps with sound insulation. I used foil tape to seal the material on all 4 sides. Reinstalled the cover and BAM! Big noise reduction. Oh, it's still loud, but it really takes the edge off. Blower noise is reduced and noise from air leaking thru the closed dump vent are gone.

The donor shade:
Click image for larger version

Name:	donor shade.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	262710

The 4 layers tape sealed over the dump vent:

Name:	insulated dump.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	262711

Better Airflow:
I had seen people mentioning poor tape sealing from the factory but figured that wasn't often an issue. That is until i was looking to remove a speaker from the ceiling to see what better aftermarket speakers would fit. I noticed the speaker i wanted to remove was about 2 feet away from the a/c and was cool to the touch. Seemed weird. When i removed it, there was cold air coming out the opening!

So while i had the cover off for the above enhancement, i inspected the entire inside of the output side of the a/c. Sure enough, there was a gap around where the ducts are connected where tape was missing. It was small, but apparently enough to let a good bit of air into the ceiling. My unit is using 2 duct outlets, 1 feeding the bathroom and bedroom and 1 feeding the living area vents. Both had sloppy taping. There is one more side where an opening is provided for ducting that needs to be taped closed. That was sketchy too. where the pieces of tape overlapped, some were kind of loose. Also the white foam piece that separates the air intake from the air output was absolutely the worst! it was just placed in there and not taped AT ALL. air was blowing straight down on the cover. at the top of the foam piece i could stick 4 fingers through from the output side into the intake side.

I spent about an hour and used about 1/2 roll of metal tape to completely retape and seal everything off and ensure a true wall between intake and output. Before sticking my hands up in there, i taped all the sheet metal edges so there would be no sharp edges to cut me. Also turned off the a/c breaker since my hands would be all up in the wiring. I think you can see the taped edges in the pics.

I can't believe the airflow now!!! I thought it was pretty good already, so i didn't quite know what i was missing. Each and every vent has a very noticeable increase in airflow. One in particular, the kitchen vent, was weak compared to the others in the living area and it now feels as strong as the others. I actually think I'm going to need to pull the cover again and partially tape over the duct entrance feeding the bathroom and bedroom. Those two are like a hurricane blasting in there. I try closing the damper on them and they whistle and a bunch of air still comes.

I had no 'before' pics, but here are 'after'. I just wanted to show how nice and clean it is and fully taped off.
Foam piece between intake and output side:

Name:	Foam in intake 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	262712
Foam piece again, other end:

Name:	Foam in intake 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	262713
Bed-Bath duct

Name:	duct bed-bath.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	262714
Living area duct

Name:	duct living area.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	262715
Back wall of intake. Wouldn't affect cold air output, but the opening had tape falling off and you could see the ceiling foam, etc.

Name:	Intake outer wall.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	262716
Hyperionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely ++ that. I have done those things and it does make a difference. The pre made sound covers help too but uou can make your own.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperionguy View Post
Quieter: I have been looking at ideas to make it a little quieter without paying a bunch of money for the kit i saw somewhere. I was skeptical of the kit anyway. I decided that since I don't use the 'dump' vent at all, i would use a method similar to what i saw someone do on another site. Opinion: I don't think the dump vent cools it down any faster, plus in my unit it dumps right next to the thermostat and will probably make it cycle before the rest of the trailer is cold.

I used a bubble foil windshield shade i was no longer using. I carefully cut out a rectangle to snugly fit the dump outlet. I then used that as a template to cut 3 more so i would end up with 4 layers. One layer would have blocked the air leakage but 4 layers helps with sound insulation. I used foil tape to seal the material on all 4 sides. Reinstalled the cover and BAM! Big noise reduction. Oh, it's still loud, but it really takes the edge off. Blower noise is reduced and noise from air leaking thru the closed dump vent are gone.

The donor shade:
Attachment 262710

The 4 layers tape sealed over the dump vent:
Attachment 262711

Better Airflow:
I had seen people mentioning poor tape sealing from the factory but figured that wasn't often an issue. That is until i was looking to remove a speaker from the ceiling to see what better aftermarket speakers would fit. I noticed the speaker i wanted to remove was about 2 feet away from the a/c and was cool to the touch. Seemed weird. When i removed it, there was cold air coming out the opening!

So while i had the cover off for the above enhancement, i inspected the entire inside of the output side of the a/c. Sure enough, there was a gap around where the ducts are connected where tape was missing. It was small, but apparently enough to let a good bit of air into the ceiling. My unit is using 2 duct outlets, 1 feeding the bathroom and bedroom and 1 feeding the living area vents. Both had sloppy taping. There is one more side where an opening is provided for ducting that needs to be taped closed. That was sketchy too. where the pieces of tape overlapped, some were kind of loose. Also the white foam piece that separates the air intake from the air output was absolutely the worst! it was just placed in there and not taped AT ALL. air was blowing straight down on the cover. at the top of the foam piece i could stick 4 fingers through from the output side into the intake side.

I spent about an hour and used about 1/2 roll of metal tape to completely retape and seal everything off and ensure a true wall between intake and output. Before sticking my hands up in there, i taped all the sheet metal edges so there would be no sharp edges to cut me. Also turned off the a/c breaker since my hands would be all up in the wiring. I think you can see the taped edges in the pics.

I can't believe the airflow now!!! I thought it was pretty good already, so i didn't quite know what i was missing. Each and every vent has a very noticeable increase in airflow. One in particular, the kitchen vent, was weak compared to the others in the living area and it now feels as strong as the others. I actually think I'm going to need to pull the cover again and partially tape over the duct entrance feeding the bathroom and bedroom. Those two are like a hurricane blasting in there. I try closing the damper on them and they whistle and a bunch of air still comes.

I had no 'before' pics, but here are 'after'. I just wanted to show how nice and clean it is and fully taped off.
Foam piece between intake and output side:
Attachment 262712
Foam piece again, other end:
Attachment 262713
Bed-Bath duct
Attachment 262714
Living area duct
Attachment 262715
Back wall of intake. Wouldn't affect cold air output, but the opening had tape falling off and you could see the ceiling foam, etc.
Attachment 262716
Thanks, great job on your project!

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, quiet