Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dumb question about transfer switch.

I have read several threads on this forum and another forum about transfer switch problems. Why is a transfer switch necessary ? My previous motorhome did not have one and it just seems that it is another system to worry about or replace. The 50amp cord was wired directly into the distribution panel. You either plugged into the 50amp pedestal or into the generator outlet. Am I missing something like a safety feature that it provides ?
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are some really good transfer switches and some very bad ones. You just have to know which is which.

They installed the transfer switches to eliminate the need of having to remove the plug from the shore power pedestal and plugging it into the generator.

Simply a convenience.

You could remove it if you like and put in a junction box instead for the shore power cable connecting it directly to the coach power line. Then install another box for the end of the generator line that has a 50 amp receptacle.

If you want to purchase a really good transfer switch, look at the ESCO or Lyght Transfer switches.

Mine is going on 12 years old with no problems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I have read several threads on this forum and another forum about transfer switch problems. Why is a transfer switch necessary ? My previous motorhome did not have one and it just seems that it is another system to worry about or replace. The 50amp cord was wired directly into the distribution panel. You either plugged into the 50amp pedestal or into the generator outlet. Am I missing something like a safety feature that it provides ?
It is a convenience item, that integrates your onboard generator into the system. You could get around it, but I couldn't imagine having a built-in generator without one. They really are not complicated or expensive.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #4

Hmmm - why a transfer switch:

1. convenience - don't have to go out in the rain etc to plug power into a gen. Default position is gen on coaches I have seen.

2. How would you enable auto start in the event of shore power failure?

I am certain there are other good reasons to have one, but of course more hardware does mean lower MTBF.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The basic TS for shore vs genny as others say, is just a convienience. I do not have one on my 30a coach for this basic function.

However, on your basic 30a coach, your rear AC is not even wired into this 30a circuit. To run both ACs, you need to plug into the genny outlet. When the genny is running this trips a TS to tie the 20a circuit of the genny to power the rear AC only. Then you still have a full 30a to the rest of the coach by the 30a circuit.

So in this case, this particular TS is a necessity. To muddy it up a bit more and get off topic, some 30a coaches have an EMS system (mine does) which allows both ACs to run on just 30a from the pedistal. Of course there isn't many amps left, but nice when you need both ACs and don't want to run the genny.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you have answered my question. Our new Tiffin has one so I was not inquiring about purchasing one. I never thought about the situation where you would lose shore power. It just didn't seem necessary and something else to go wrong.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
...Dumb question about transfer switch.
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I think you have answered my question. Our new Tiffin has one so I was not inquiring about purchasing one. I never thought about the situation where you would lose shore power. It just didn't seem necessary and something else to go wrong.
Thanks
Depending on the brand that you have now, you may want to purchase one.

The IOTA transfer switches are prone to burning up and causing fires.

Many have been under a recall.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/iota...ll-116415.html

Transfer Switch (IOTA-50R) - Electrical - FMCA Motorhome Forums

However, I don't believe Tiffin uses the IOTA brand transfer switches.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine is a Safe Guard Plus by TRC. Although my question was answered your point about one causing fires still leads me to believe if you wouldn't be better off without one.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The basic TS for shore vs genny as others say, is just a convienience. I do not have one on my 30a coach for this basic function.

However, on your basic 30a coach, your rear AC is not even wired into this 30a circuit. To run both ACs, you need to plug into the genny outlet. When the genny is running this trips a TS to tie the 20a circuit of the genny to power the rear AC only. Then you still have a full 30a to the rest of the coach by the 30a circuit.

So in this case, this particular TS is a necessity. To muddy it up a bit more and get off topic, some 30a coaches have an EMS system (mine does) which allows both ACs to run on just 30a from the pedistal. Of course there isn't many amps left, but nice when you need both ACs and don't want to run the genny.
Another very important reason to have a TS is because without one if there was a power failure on the power company grid and you started your generator the power would feed back to the grid. This would go to the transformer and step up the voltage and go out on the power line. If a lineman was working on the outage and made contact = ONE DEAD LINEMAN!!!!!!!!!!
IFIXIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFIXIT View Post

Another very important reason to have a TS is because without one if there was a power failure on the power company grid and you started your generator the power would feed back to the grid. This would go to the transformer and step up the voltage and go out on the power line. If a lineman was working on the outage and made contact = ONE DEAD LINEMAN!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. While the Danger warning above is indeed sound, - but who would ever own an RV where it is possible to connect a gen to the shore power line?????

I could not imagine any RV manufacturer that would configure a rig that would allow this to happen.

Does anyone actually have an RV configured so the gen can connect to the shore power line?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree back feeding in a home environment is a real danger but in a RV that doesn't have a transfer switch you must unplug from the pedestal and then plug into the generator plug. So you really can't back feed.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are not missing anything of a technical nature.. Your missing data has to do with psychology. The fact that many RVers... Well .. Let's just say that when the storm comes in as it did for me about 5 weeks ago, and the power goes out, as it did,, Kind of nice not having to go out and play in the rain to "Transfer" the RV's electrical needs to the generator.

But the "Poor Man's Transfer" system you describe, where you physically TRANSFER the cord, works just fine.

Some other things you might like..

Walking to the park restroom because you do not have "indoor" plumbing. Cooking only over a campfire cause you don't have a stove.,.,.,. Shall I go on?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Point well taken. But we get spoiled by many of the expensive items that aren't needed and I too love being spoiled.