Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #43

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Are there any issues with dumping to a home septic system? Do different types of chemicals need to be used?

Our septic is about 150 feet away and about 10-15ft uphill from the coach, can a macerator pump be used?

Thanks,
I’ve been dumping in our septic tanks for 15 years, zero issues, it is not a problem, period. My neighbor does the same, all good. I don’t like it when people give opinions and have no experience on the subject.
As for pumping that far, I have not experience with that, I’ll let someone chime in that actually does.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #45

Why dump the gray into the septic tank? Just use it as a source to water the lawn.
5thwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #46

Perfectly okay to dump your RV black and grey tanks to your septic system. However you should really understand your septic system before you do so. For example my septic system has four chambers, and two of them were buried with no access. You want to dump into the first chamber in line from the house so that the black tank effluent has a chance to go through the proper Chambers and sequences of the septic system. What I eventually did was uncover the access to all four chambers of my septic system, and put in risers and concrete caps so that I can get to any chamber at any time. There is absolutely no reason to not dump to your septic system except that you want to be in the first tank in the sequence.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What RV has a 100+ gal holding tank?????
My Alpine coach has a 78 gallon black tank and a 100 grey water tank.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #48

I didn't read all four pages before responding, so apologies if this has already been addressed...

I've been living at my S&B since we had it built almost 3 years ago. I've used my septic system to dump both grey and black dozens of times. It's a small tank - I think rated for 2-3 bedrooms. Always dumped using at least 150' of 5/8 hose through a macerator.

That said, make sure at least once a year you pull BOTH lids on your septic and look for water surface on the inlet side. Having any visible water means you're ok for another year. If you find only sludge and no water at all, have it pumped. Chemicals are a waste of money (at best), and my do harm to the good bacteria and enzymes in the tank.

People will go 15-20 years without doing anything and assume that means there's no need to do any maintenance. Unfortunately, those same people will have a failed leach/drain field be their first symptom.

Grease and other non-degradable floating crud will build up on the surface of the water in the tank. When it gets excessive, it begins to enter the drain field and will clog the lines. It's a slow, insidious process that cannot be reversed. Once the lines are coated with grease, the only fix is to dig them up and replace them. Incidentally, don't put any grease down the drains!

On average it takes 3 years for the sludge to build up on the surface of the water - so if you check annually, you'll catch it before it gets to the extreme damaging level. Having a septic company pump your tank out costs (up here) about $250. It's not free, but compared to a drain field failure, it might as well be.

I know this is a bit off your question about dumping the RV tanks - but since you have septic, make sure you do those periodic checks.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #49

You did the right thing in talking with the expert. Trouble with putting questions out to a large group of people is that most of them think they are experts yet you get all kinds of different answers.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #50

The way I look at it is: it's the same amount or less than what you would have put in your septic tank if you were home. So seems to be a wash.
Badbrad1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
And what exactly was their concern/issue with the black>>>

Macerator grinds it up so you are pumping a 'slurry' vs solid chunks.
That slurry would be easy for septic system to accept.

Have pumped my rv waste tanks into my septic tank for years. Not routinely but on occasion .....10 minutes of pumping black tank and then 10 minutes of pumping grey with a 10 minute break in between pumpings.

Your issue is the distance and total lift
Flojet Macerator states horizontal run of 25' MAX using 5/8" hose and 50' MAX using 3/4" hose
I pump 100' with a 2' rise using 3/4" hose when at my sisters place.
I see no issue at all either.
If its a good system to begine with.
Not a tile to a farm field tile or drainage ditch.

Or

A fifty gallon drum buried with a in and out line.

Those would not work well.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Now you also need to show an Aerobic System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerobic_Wastewater_Treament_Tank_NZ.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	247376  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #53

Dump station installed by septic guy!

When our house was built I asked the septic installer and the clean out company if it would be an issue. The installer said no as did the clean out company. The installer installed a dump station in the line from the house to the septic system. Sits nicely in the field 40 feet from house and I use it like I was at the campground. I don't dump more than a quarter every hour. My combined tanks would be 80 gallons (black/grey) Usually less than half full when I get home. Been doing it for 18 years without issue.
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Weekly dump

We dumped weekly for 2 years while building. That was 11 years ago, no problems yet.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thwheelin View Post
Why dump the gray into the septic tank? Just use it as a source to water the lawn.
That's what I do, black in tank, gray on yard. On 5 acres so doesn't bother anyone and no one knows but me.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to SkipperJupp
Quote:
And what exactly was their concern/issue with the black....
The problem with black tank discharge is that people typically use chemicals to prevent smell. These chemicals contain formaldehyde which is deadly for the enzymes in the septic tank.
If you want to empty black water into the septic system, use a biological deodorant, i.e.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Rv-...EAAOSwiZZbl0dU
SkipperJupp is offline   Reply With Quote