Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Dumping to a home septic system

Hi,

Are there any issues with dumping to a home septic system? Do different types of chemicals need to be used?

Our septic is about 150 feet away and about 10-15ft uphill from the coach, can a macerator pump be used?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would say that dumping 100+ gallons of waste into a septic system all at once would be a bad idea.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Dumping to a home septic system

There should not be any problems with dumping into a septic. I do the same with a macerator pump except mine is all downhill about 150' with 10-15' drop.
Pumping uphill might be more of a challenge that distance.

My pump outs at home are typically smaller amounts from the final drive home or if I want to do a thorough back flush of the system. Our septic system has no problem with the volume as it is a Dose system with 2 1,250 gallon tanks and doses the field ~600 gallons at a time. Design specification is pumped once a day.

Edit: Majority of the time I use no chemicals. Occasionally I will use a little happy camper.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

Thanks both,

I spoke to a local septic service, they do not recommend dumping a black tank in to the septic. They said grey tank is fine if done slowly.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks both,

I spoke to a local septic service, they do not recommend dumping a black tank in to the septic. They said grey tank is fine if done slowly.

And what exactly was their concern/issue with the black>>>

Macerator grinds it up so you are pumping a 'slurry' vs solid chunks.
That slurry would be easy for septic system to accept.

Have pumped my rv waste tanks into my septic tank for years. Not routinely but on occasion .....10 minutes of pumping black tank and then 10 minutes of pumping grey with a 10 minute break in between pumpings.

Your issue is the distance and total lift
Flojet Macerator states horizontal run of 25' MAX using 5/8" hose and 50' MAX using 3/4" hose
I pump 100' with a 2' rise using 3/4" hose when at my sisters place.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I would say that dumping 100+ gallons of waste into a septic system all at once would be a bad idea.
What RV has a 100+ gal holding tank?????
Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks both,

The camp I summer in that is exactly where the dump station dumps into. camp has a septic tank system.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Ours does. 100 gallon gray water and 55 gallon black.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

I lived in the RV while I remodeled my house. I would dump the tanks into my septic tank once a week, for approximately 4 months. I haven't had any issues. My rise was about 3 feet and the run was probably 100 feet. I would milk the house afterwards to get it all out, as it was winter time and didn't want it to freeze and not be able to dump the next week.
That was 2016 and its 2019, haven't had any issues and the septic system is 50 years old.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

I use the sewer solution that I bought on amazon. it uses water and acts as a macerator. I run about 75 feet and use 1" pvc pipe connected end to end with slip couplers. I pull it out and hook it up when i need to dump at home. i use a stinky slinky while on the road.

I have never hesitated to dump into my septic system. I use the same process if i was dumping into a camp grounds dump tanks. I dump the black and then the grey. its around 100 gallons and then ill flush the tanks after that.

Once or twice a year I will flush the tanks multiple times. Earlier this year I flushed about 400 gallons thru the tanks into the septic system in a matter of an hour or two. I filled the tanks, dumped and filled and dumped several times trying to clean my tanks. This was a mistake because I was trying to do it before we had guests coming for the weekend, and my gf was doing a bunch of laundry to get caught up before they got here and we ended up putting 6-700 gallons of water into the septic system in 1 day. which normally i wouldn't fret about too much if the weather was nice because the septic system would recover, except it rained and rained and rained saturating the leech field and not allowing the septic system to leech out properly. I should note that my property floods like crazy due to a farmers field behind my house so it overwhelmed my septic system. I could flush toilets but it would take a while to drain so we ended up renting a hotel for everyone and stayed in a hotel. We probably would have been okay had i not put 400 gallons thru the rv into the septic but the driveway was so flooded that it was almost impossible to get into and out of vehicles without being in ankle deep water.

If you are adding 100 gallons periodically to your septic system, you will be fine. just don't do it daily and just be mindful of the water you are using before or after.

think of it this way, your septic system is designed to handle X amount per day. if you are away for 3 days you didn't put those 3 days into your system. so you have a little "banked up". or if you are just cleaning the tanks from it sitting there, dump it but then maybe wait a day or so before doing laundry and dishes.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

I asked my septic guy and he said it would be fine to dump black tank.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
115 gray and 56 gal black.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:

Our 5th wheel RV has two, 38 gallon, black tanks and two, 38 gallon, grey tanks...for a combine total of 152 gallons of waste water.

Marty
Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I would say that there are a lot of RVs that have a combined total of black and gray tanks that are over 100 gallons.