Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #1

Duo therm 4 button thermostat

A while back someone said that you have to replace the control boards on the air conditioners to replace a 4 button with a 5 button. Can someone tell me or show me a diagram about how to proceed with this. My 4 button keeps shutting off (on hot or cold) and does not engage my zone 2 air conditioner. I bought a 5 button and as was stated here, I only get the error message.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Dan DeBruin
Nellie the Newmar
1998 Dutch Star DP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dan,
I do not know if this will help. You may need a control card. The part numbers I'm familiar with are 5 button Upgrade kit #3310014.000 and an additional control box # 3106481.009. Camping World may be able to provide assistance on what you need.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
As already mentioned, you need the control package to go with the 5-button thermostat. Each Air Conditioner will have to have the control board changed to work with the 5-button. Sorry for the bad news, but that is the way it is with Dometic.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
A while back someone said that you have to replace the control boards on the air conditioners to replace a 4 button with a 5 button. Can someone tell me or show me a diagram about how to proceed with this. My 4 button keeps shutting off (on hot or cold) and does not engage my zone 2 air conditioner. I bought a 5 button and as was stated here, I only get the error message.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Dan DeBruin
Nellie the Newmar
1998 Dutch Star DP

My dad took his four button to his local TV repair guy who repaired some bad solder joints on the T'stat and it has been working for a couple of years now.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for all of your replies. I will follow up first with trying to see if there is a broken connection. I did take the board off earlier in the year and could not see anything but will look again. If I can't get it fixed... well, off to camping world for the new boards. The problem is I need the furnace this fall. I could get along without the air for a bit but not the furnace.

Thanks again, I will let you all know what I find out. Am going to a show with the motor home this weekend so will have some time to work on it while there.

Dan
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have a 4 button control and would like to know how to switch the zones or have both zones working at the same time??
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Copied from another message board, but I do not remember which. Hope this helps.

Duotherm 4 Button Thermostat
This post is to assist those of you with older coaches sporting the Duotherm 4 button thermostat that may be on its last legs, or providing an increasing amount of frustration.

My problem with the thermostat was the erratic performance of the 4 buttons, to change mode, temperature, zone, etc. The problem I had with the device was with the 4 little tactile switches; I guess they got tired.

You may realize the 4-button thermostat cannot be bought it has to be replaced with the "new and improved" 5-button model. The problem for me was the cost of the 5-button system.

I found that you can buy the switches from US - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark.com and they are $1.06 each. They are part number 19C6398; this is Newark's SKU number. Outside of Newark the switches are from ITT/Canon and the official part number is PVA1OAH1. Newark can be reached at 1-800-752-9279 or you can order on the Internet

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr7864 View Post
I have a 4 button control and would like to know how to switch the zones or have both zones working at the same time??
To operate the 4 button T'stat : Zone changing is acquired by pushing the top two buttons at the same time. You will see a number flashing to let you know which zone you are in to program. Zone 1 is the front and zone 2 is the rear of the coach. To set a type of air comfort you want, you will select the mode button for each zone. If you are wanting heat and only have one furnace it is probably on zone 1 and you will select zone 1 by pushing down on the top two buttons together and then pushing the mode button until you get to the word "Furnace". Then select the temperature you desire with the up and down buttons. Then press the top two buttons together and change to zone 2 and press the mode button to "OFF".
If you cannot get the thermostat to properly respond to changing zones or any other function, you could have a failing or already bad T'stat. Let us know what you find.
There can be many different combinations and the service manual for this thermostat alone is over 50 pages.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #9

I understand someone repairs the 4 button thermostat. Does anyone know who?
Jim
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello Dan and Gary on this thread.
I too am facing the need for purchasing a replacement 5 button Duo-Therm and 2 cards for my 2 A/c units. Ref: 2000 Dutch Star Ford V10. Can no longer switch zones without major frustration. I can purchase the stat with card plus a second card for about $345 plus tax (last year's prices) or Camping World will do the job at over $800. They claim could be lots of work, but I doubt that after opening the A/C units and reading install info that came with the RV. I found this problem is very wide spread but I have not talked to anyone that purchased the parts and what the experience was. Please comment and advise. Thanks.
John&Stacy
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
DOMETIC DUO THERM 4 BUTTON THERMOSTAT #310 6463 007 : eBay Motors (item 130425168272 end time Aug-29-10 06:00:08 PDT)

Here is "the" guy that has figured out the 4 buttom dilema.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Good to know! Thank you
Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #13

John and Stacy,

I have not fixed mine yet. Will keep trying this winter but please keep us informed about your fix. There are a bunch of us out here looking for the same fix.

Dan
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

My 4 button thermostat failed and is not rebuildable. I have replaced it with a 5 button and replaced the two A/C unit control boards. I have not been able to find how the thermostat controls the zones on the Aqia Hot coach heater. There must be another control board. Does any one know where it is located on my 1998 Monaco Dynesty?