Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Duo Therm heat pump electrical question

I have two Duo Therm Penguin heat pumps model 630035.321 on my 2003 HR Scepter. Rear one won't cool or heat - compressor does not run and I don't hear it trying to start. Fan runs fine. I replaced the start capacitor - no luck. I now checked the system and find that there is no 120v to the compressor at all. Opened the electronics control box and I find that there is a relay (marked K6) on the circuit board which has a direct 120v hot lead coming in and does not energize the Blue wire coming out, which runs directly to the compressor. I think this relay is the start delay for the compressor (not sure). Yes, I waited long enough for it to function. Before I spend the $200 for a new electronics box can anyone help me with my diagnosis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Start with the easy stuff first. When my rear AC did not work I found all I needed to do was unplug the phone type connector on the wire from the thermostat and plug it back in (bad connection). If that does not work can you swap boards with the front AC?

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

I have a document , on the Duo Therm system , diagnosis and repair , but it's too large to post here in the forums , and for some reason I don't have the site address where I downloaded it from,

If you'd like the pdf , please PM me your e mail address and I'll forward it.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The first thing you might try is swapping the thermostats to see if that's the issue and not the AC. Also, the time delay could be built into the thermostat instead of the AC, I know it's that way on the Coleman units.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflyrodders View Post
I have two Duo Therm Penguin heat pumps model 630035.321 on my 2003 HR Scepter. Rear one won't cool or heat - compressor does not run and I don't hear it trying to start. Fan runs fine. I replaced the start capacitor - no luck. ... Before I spend the $200 for a new electronics box can anyone help me with my diagnosis?
The source of manuals mentioned by Skip426 above is probably Bryant RV.

Link: Manuals for Duo Therm et al

They have many original manuals containing a wealth of information on heat pumps, refrigerators, furnaces, etc.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the help, guys. From the info I've found (thanks to you) it looks like I need a new control center (board). Ordered one today. Hopefully that will do it. Bruce
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

UPDATE: Just put the new control center in - and it WORKS! Cost was about $100 online. Thanks to you all for your help - IRV2 came through again. I'd buy you all a beer if I could - but I can't - so I'll do the next best thing (buy myself one).

Bruce
Old 04-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Bruce; keep the beer cold and we'll find you.

Tags
electrical, heat, heat pump