Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
OK, so I wanted to check the unit while running before removing the coil. I removed the cover and ran the unit. The air coming out the vent inside my rig and the air that is exhausted on the roof are about the same temperature. Not really hot but warm. Does this indicate just low freon? I would be surprised if it was that easy and the shop that I used, which I have been using for a while & I 'trusted' (past tense- I am getting leery of them because of this), didn't resolve the issue. It was quite a while ago that they looked at it (like I said I didn't use the AC much until recently so I didn't get it fixed at the time it was diagnosed) and I think they said they checked the freon level and it was good. How do they check the freon level in a closed system?

Is a charge a fairly quick and easy thing for an RV shop? Since I am a full timer could I get a mobile service guy to do it and if so could that be as good as taking to a shop?

Thanks for the advice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #16

If the compressor is running the small line (discharge ) coming out of it should be really hot to touch and the larger line (suction) should be very cool to cold and possibly sweating if charged properly. How did the tech tell that it was ok? Did he have a fitting to put guages on? If one is there I suppose you could add the refrigerant until the suction line gets cold but thats a crap shoot at best for a novice. Is the sol. coil getting voltage as I believe the valve fails in heat mode. Meaning the coil has to be energized to be in the a/c mode.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well yes you could add refrigerant to the unit IF you could find a shop that WOULD and COULD add ports to it. The RV air conditioners do not come with these ports and adding them is not a normal thing that is done. Sure it is possible, but costly. If it is low on refrigerant, replacement of the entire unit is the way it is done.

Sounds like you need to take it to a shop that KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS these things. Basically they are a window type air conditioner and most RV dealers don't have a clue. Fine a good shop that repairs window units and perhaps they can help you. Only other choice is to replace it and that will be expensive. Just priced a heat pump unit and the dealer quoted $1,100 plus shipping plus installation and it would be 5 weeks before delivery.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Jeep: yes, you are correct about the valve 'default' is in the heat mode. I checked the draw on the circuit. It is less than 9 amps. the fan draws 3. My front unit draws about 12. I conclude that my compressor is failing. It's 110+ degrees here, time to suck it up and install a new unit. I am going to replace it with an A/C unit only. Heat pumps aren't much value here in AZ and I installed an internal propane quick connect that I hook up a room heater to for the winter anyway.

Thanks for all the help. Wish these units were more repair friendly!