Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Question DuoTherm BriskAir 'sometimes' stops cooling

Have a 2006 Sandpiper TH with a DuoTherm BriskAir AC unit Model 57915.541

Sometimes, at different RV Parks, the AC works for a few hours then stops blowing cold air. Instead it will blow: slow ambient temp air. Sorta seems like it froze up and has restricted air flow.

This only happened twice in the last 3 months, both times in old RV parks.
I did not check the park voltage when it happened.

But in all newer better maintained RV Parks this never happens, and the one AC unit will freeze you out of my little 21ft TH. Got it down to 65F last evening.

It's 100F outside in my driveway now, and the AC is blowing cold for 4 hours now, on 60 ft of 30Amp RV power cord. The voltage is 110-111v now inside the RV.

Could my intermittent problem be related to Low Voltage in a park affecting the compressor/AC operation? Or is my freon charge low?

Seeking any and all advice and experiences.
Thanx.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are the evaporator coil and filter clean. I find the filter needs cleaning every 10 to 14 days of use. Next always run on HIGH fan and not LOW fan. Check the internal baffles in the unit to make sure that the air is not bypassing from the outlet to the inlet side.

With the unit running on high fan and for at least 15 minutes, you should get a 18 to 20 degF drop between the air on the unit and the air off the unit, measured as close to the unit as possible.

Most problems with the unis freezing up are due to low or restricted air flow.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
These units are sealed and should never need to be recharged. It sure sounds like it froze up, meaning ice formed on the evaporator and blocked the air flow since you said “slow ambient air temp”. Always run it on High fan, NOT auto. Hi fan mode will only turn off the compressor leaving the fan on to melt off the ice. If I remember right, ducted systems have a sensor imbedded in the evaporator so they won’t freeze up, non ducted units don’t have the sensor and are prone to icing.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling