Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a silicon caulk remover.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...ault.aspx#P386

Scrape off as much as you can with plastic razor blades, then use this.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you know what your roof is? If it is rubber (EDPM or something like that) DO NOT use any type of petroleum-based product--it will destroy your roof.

If it is caulk, then the only way I have found to do it, on my house, is to get physical--scraping, peeling, etc. If it is silicone, I've had luck with heat (HF cheap heat gun for me) and putty knife. Same for Dicor.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a rubber roof, forget the heat gun unless you are experienced. I have a fiberglass roof. I use a putty knife, then I use a non mineral type cleaner, then I use alcohol on a micro fiber towel or rag to clean off any other residue, etc. Then I use a DYCO C-10 flow seal. ( to be used on a flat serface, not on a vertical serface ).
Ohhh Don't use the alcohol that you drink. Save that type for when you need to flush out your __________ oh wait a minute that's a different story !!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #18

Removing roof sealant

You have been given some good suggestions for old sealant removal. After removal you can clean the area with alcohol and let dry. Dicor lap sealant is the correct product to use. You might consider Externabond tape be put around vents and then you can use dicor around the edges as needed(optional). A very good caulk to use on other exterior area of the Rv is lexell caulk(ace hardwear). SikaflexA at home depot is another good one. You can read about both caulk products on the internet. I have used Lexell caulk in our RV renovation and loved its ease of application and that it can be applied down to 40 degrees. Worth every penny at $eight dollars a tube. You pay for this good quality caulk. We have been in several severe rain storms and we were high and dry. Best of luck with your repair project.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #19

You can use mineral spirits to clean up the old dicor before laying down the new stuff. Just be careful not to spill any on your rubber roof if you have one.
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
You do not have to remove all the old Dicor on the roof to put new over the top of it. I do a section every year on mine. I take a putty knife and remove what I can of the old, then put new over the top of it. I break my roof into 2 sections, start in the front, resealed it this year, next year it will be the rear.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #21

I've read every reply. Thanks everyone! I'll just scrape it down, clean it, and apply my new sealant. I'm actually going with the eternabond roof sealant tape. I've already repaired one leak with it and it worked great. I'll be using it everywhere I can on the roof. I have a rubber roof for those of you who asked.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
I used my heat gun set to 450 degrees and a flexible steel putty knife. I rounded the corners of the putty knife to prevent gouging the rubber roof. Final cleanup was with paint thinner immediately followed by acetone. The Eterna-bond was used on all seams. It took me two years working intermittently, but I was maticiolus in my cleanup.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #23

Sundancer
Prep work is way more important than laying the finishing touches...way to go..two years now that's my speed
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with the use of plastic putty knife. It will do least damage to lift that old mess off.
Its good in the seams of trims that will have to be done also in time.
Here is some information that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof