Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

Electric Blanket

Hi all,
I have a friend who owns a 2002 Coleman Caravan and she has been told that she cannot use her electric blanket because of the wiring in the camper is not able to handle the draw and will be a fire hazzard. I have never heard of such a thing. Any thoughts or imput would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Morris
MPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The has been electric blankets which have caused a fire. That is not unique to using one in an RV.

On the electric issue, what is the wattage ratings for the blanket? Is it 12 of 120 volt? Divide the watt rating by the voltage to determine the amperage being drawn. If it is 12v then divide the amp hour rating of the battery to determine how long the blanket will run off the battery. If you are using 120v then divide by 120 for the current draw. If that is less than the capacity of the the system, which is somewhere between 15 and 50 amps depending upon your system and what you are plugged into.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
paz

Hi Morris,

Electric blankets don't draw that much current, so they shouldn't be a problem for any 15A circuit. We used one all the time in cool weather when we had a tent camper. Follow the manufacturer's precautions about not doubling the blanket over, tucking it under the mattress, etc.

Most electric blankets don't like to run on inverters, but I don't think that will be a problem in a tent camper because most tent campers don't have inverters.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
IC2

A 120VAC electric blanket will draw at max setting, up to 200 watts as a double according to what I've read. A tent camper will have at least 15 amp wiring. With 120 VAC, this would be 1.66 amps. Even at 100VAC in a not unusual campground, that's still only 2 amps and less then a coffee pot or a small microwve. There is, from what I can see, besides any other electric appliance potential, no problem there. The only possible problem is that many ground fault receptacles do not like heaters and for some reason will trip - I have at least two in my home, that even after replacing them with commercial grade will trip when my little diesel tractor pre heater is plugged in in either of two places
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Got to love the "a friend of a friends cousin' hair dressers mechanic....." telling you or heard....

The 120 VAC circuit should be designed for a minimum of 15 amps...just like a typical home circuit. An electric blanket is designed to operate on a standard 15 amp, 120 VAC home circuit so it will work on a 15 amp, 120VAC circuit in an RV. You need to watch the same safety rules for use in an RV or a home.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Powwer isn't a problem. Safety is a BIG PROBLEM. electric blankets don't cause fires, PEOPLE DO! They are safe unless they get folded over themselves. thenheat can build and wiring can short. A far better solution is to get a bed size bed warming pad. they fit under the main sheet. no chance of it get folded over itself and shorting out, causing a fire. Many house fires are attributed to electric blankets shorting out....that is usually only half the story. The other half is the blanket was used incorrectley. be sure what ever you use has a UL Approved seal on it. be safe... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
YC1

We would not be without our electric blankets. As mentioned they draw less than two amps and that is when they are cycled on.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Got to love the "a friend of a friends cousin' hair dressers mechanic....." telling you or heard....

Ken
Welcome to the forum! Ken's right. Your friend got some bad information.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #9

There have been multiple reports of electric blanket controllers melting if, and when using Modified Sine Wave inverters. Pure Sine Wave is of course just fine for it is as good as, or better then, household power.

The 12 volt units are, as a rule, not really an electric blanket but a "bed warmer" that is used to warm up the bed prior to inserting your body.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will pass it along to my friend. I have a feeling the her landlord is trying to cut back on the electric bill.
MPatterson
MPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wiring in the trailer should be up to a 12 amp load, the electric blanket, perhaps half that.

HOWEVER there have been cases where a camper used a MSW inverter to heat his blanket with the result that some blanket controllers will catch fire when used with MSW inverters. It's the fault of the blanket controller designer, not the rig's wiring, however. Other brands of blankets, a True sine inverter, or shore power, No problem.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A heated mattress pad uses less electric.
"Inherently, electric mattress pads are more efficient than electric blankets because ALL the heat of the pad is trapped in the air space under the top sheet and top blanket, whereas much of the heat generated by an electric blanket travels upward to the ceiling of the room."
Actual Cost of Running an Electric Blanket or Electric Mattress Pad
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My DW would not be without her electric blanket.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone is all for electric blankets. Well OK but DON'T use them when boondocking with a modified sine wave inverter or the blanket controller or the blanket itself will burn up. Have not heard of one catching on fire, YET!

It is OK to use one when connected to shore power or on generator power. Would be the same as in your stick house.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote