Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Electric Space Heaters

I am considering getting an electric space heater for camping this winter when the temps are in the 20s. My Class A has 2 propane heaters but I figure if I can supplement with a space heater when I have full electric hookups I can reduce my propane usage keeping the MH comfy.

I have looked at ceramic/quartz and oil filled radiant models. The ceramic/quartz models have the advantage of almost instant heat when turned on as well as a fan to direct the heat, the disadvantage of ceramic/quartz is when you turn it off it cools quickly as well as the noise level of the fan can be annoying. The advantage of the oil filled radiant models retain their heat for a longer period of time after it is turned off and are basically silent, the disadvantage is that they take some time to heat up and you cannot direct the heat in a specific direction.

I would appreciate it if anyone would like to share their experiences, recommendations and opinions on types and specific models of electric space heaters.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
We have a small electric ceramic heater that is quiet and has temp settings. Works great to supplement the rather loud furnace. Two of them would be even better. I'll have to check on the brand and model.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My vote is for the quartz heaters. Smaller, quicker, lighter. We use ours in the living area on low, so not a noise problem at night. Nice to get up to a warm "house" We may need 2 now we have gone from a 34 foot with no slides to a 38 foot with 3 slides!!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
IC2

We have a couple 20 buck 900/1500 watt ceramic heaters from Tractor Supply that do a great job with minimal fan noise. They are small enough that they store on any shelf. I would prefer the constant heat from an oil filled unit - but they do grab a bunch of storage space plus there is always that nagging worry (thought?) of an oily mess that would be difficult if not impossible to clean up if somehow they cracked a leak. One type I have no history with is a micathermic which supposedly is about as good as electric heaters get but are a bit more costly.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was in Topeka, Kansas two weeks ago and it got very cold at night. Rather than have the RV heater eating up the propane, I went to a nearby Walmart and bought this Comfort Zone ceramic heater for about $15.00. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161112_190522.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	145773  
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Lasko Ceramic Heater | Lasko Products, Inc.
These work great, about 25 bucks.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #7

Broan-NuTone 6201 Big Heat Heater

We use the "Broan-NuTone 6201 Big Heat Heater," recommended by Andy at MyOldRV.com.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #8

We use similar heaters to those discussed above. As winter RV'ERS these save us alot of money in propane. Ensure the ones you buy have an adjustable thermostat setting so you can set it to your comfort level. We run three on the coldest days; the factory fireplace (electric heater), one in the (rear) bedroom and one in the basement. These augment the propane furnace nicely as we are in the Northern Tier where single digits temps are common. One caution: several have froze their water system by keeping electric heat comfortable on the main deck without realizing their basement temp was falling. I also use a remote temp sensor between my water tanks. My opinion, these $20 heaters are worth their weight in gold... or at least propane which is as valuable as gold in January.
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #9

If you have zone heating I would use one of the heaters suggested in the front and rear but set the rear electric low enough to ensure the rear LP furnace comes on to protect the basement water pipes from freezing. Others also suggest alternate basement heat sources like drop lights. We sleep better when cool and turn up the heat after getting up and use a freeze proof water supply hose or just disconnect the water line and use the fresh water tank at night and first thing in the morning. The LP tank is a pain to refill but can last a while if used judicially. We cook with a gas grill and use electric stove tops and our water heater has electric heating element. I guess what works best for you depends on your RV equipment options, how long you are in one place, access to LP refilling, and how cold it is.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We use a small heater with automatic temp settings in the front of the coach. We can adjust the temp at night to keep the chill off and turn it up a little when we awake. I also like the way it rotates from side to side and heats the entire room.

These would be 2 features I would look for in a replacement unit.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the cermaics due to their size, The oil filled do not do a better job of heating no matter what they advertise. In fact.. Space heaters are almost unique in all the world of electrical/electronic devices as they are 100% efficient... The reason for this is that all losses in an electrical system present as HEAT, with a heater HEAT is the desired result so all losses are recovered.. Don't matter if they are Ceramic, Hot wire, or oil filled, all are 100% efficient. Page 2.

My concern in RV's is the wiring in the "house" I found the outletls Damon installed with one exception (Washer/Dryer outlet) are not really up to handling a 1500 watt load for any length of time, Kept smelling how wires.

Wound up installing additional outlets, 15/20 amp, wired for 20 amp loads and each with a breaker dedicated just to that outlet, one is in fact breakered at 20 amps the other at 15 (The wireing is up to 20, but the breaker is only 15)... These do not overheat.

had to replace one outlet and re-do two junction boxes.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for a heater with a fan in it. Yes they are a bit noisier than an oil filled heater, but as you've already stated, they have the convenience of being able to have the warm air directed to a specific location.
This may be standard on any new one, but I'd make sure to get one with auto shutoff in the event that it get's tipped over.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Thanks to all for your posts. After a lot of research and reading reviews I picked a DeLonghi oil filled Dragon 4 model as I liked the fact that it stays warm after powering off for awhile and am not to keen on the air movement you get with the fan type heaters.

I have been running it in my 2 car garage to burn it in to get rid of the smell caused by the new paint when heated for the first few times. So far it has brought the temps up from 43 to 61 in the closed garage without any cars in it.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the oil heater at night - quiet. I do use a ceramic heater a lot during the day.
Only disadvantage I see to the oil heater is storing it - it is a bit bulky.
Now that you have one, gab a small fan driven heater and you will be set for any occasion.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, heat, heater