Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Electrical Help!!!!!!

I am getting ready to take off for a week and my electrical system has a gremlin! On the generator the ac's work as they should, but on shore power I cant get the front ac to work. The rear AC works fine but the front one wont come on at all (no fan or ac.) Knowing the generator works fine I spliced into the generator wiring and hooked it to shore power and it works as it should. I am not sure if its my transfer switch or something else?
Please Help!!!
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A little info on your Rig might help!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
According to his profile, he's got a 1996 Bounder.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrohman View Post
I am getting ready to take off for a week and my electrical system has a gremlin! On the generator the ac's work as they should, but on shore power I cant get the front ac to work. The rear AC works fine but the front one wont come on at all (no fan or ac.) Knowing the generator works fine I spliced into the generator wiring and hooked it to shore power and it works as it should. I am not sure if its my transfer switch or something else?
Please Help!!!
Don't know what RV or systems you have, (or for that matter, what amperage electrical service you have on shore power), but does your power control system have some sort of setting for how many amps it will recognize? Two air conditioners probably require 50 amp service, so if you don't have that amount of shore power, or your system is configured to only recognize 30 amps, you likely won't get both units to run at the same time. If you turn off the rear unit, will the front unit run? Have you tried killing all power to re-set the systems?
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Its a 96 Bounder 30 amp service. It will run both AC's under normal conditions shedding the rear if needed. It used to run just fine but today it decided to mess up. I did try to shut down all power and "reset" everything but to no avail. I cant get the front to work by itself at all on normal shore power. After I spliced into the generator wires its works fine.

Thanks
Adam
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #6

Check your generator circuit breakers. If you have a 30 and a 20 amp breaker, you probably have a 5500 watt generator.

They are built to run the MH, with 1 AC, on the 30 amp breaker and run the second AC on the 20 amp breaker.

You probably have a 30 amp shore cord so it will not run both AC with anything else running. You may find yourself blowing campground breakers, the way you wired it.

That's just how they did it, back before 50 amp service.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Check your generator circuit breakers. If you have a 30 and a 20 amp breaker, you probably have a 5500 watt generator.

They are built to run the MH, with 1 AC, on the 30 amp breaker and run the second AC on the 20 amp breaker.

You probably have a 30 amp shore cord so it will not run both AC with anything else running. You may find yourself blowing campground breakers, the way you wired it.

I checked those, they weren't tripped. The only time I have problem is when connected to shore power.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

He is having a problem when on shore power not the generator. His problem is probably a bad transfer switch. This configuration of coach will have two, one exclusively for the front AC.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyKathyM View Post
He is having a problem when on shore power not the generator. His problem is probably a bad transfer switch. This configuration of coach will have two, one exclusively for the front AC.
I found one transfer switch behind the breaker panel. Any idea where the other is?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is located in the cabinet behind the breaker panel, it is in a square black plastic box about 6"x6". Made by intelletec I think. At least that is where mine is in a 2004 Southwind.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
According to his profile, he's got a 1996 Bounder.

Lori-
I don't see any info in his profile!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/members/afrohman-133018.html
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I don't see any info in his profile!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/members/afrohman-133018.html
I already answered that question. Do you have any help or not!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry. I was responding to NLOVNIT.

And I have no help for you.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Sorry. I was responding to NLOVNIT.

And I have no help for you.
I'm sorry for snapping...I am just at my wits end trying to figure this out to no avail.