Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have seen breakers fry before they trip Stewart. Might be as rare as frog hair, but....
I will check out the park breaker more thoroughly tomorrow. Perhaps I'll throw it tonight before I turn in as I'm pulling the shore cable from the post before I go to sleep.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pull out my handy dandy circuit tester, which I built based on another thread on the site. It's a 50Amp tester, but with a dog bone it just as easily tests 30Amps. Don't know why I didn't think of that yesterday, oh ya right, I can be a dumba$$ sometimes.
Anyway the circuit tests correct. 120v and wired correctly.
I'm going to get hold of the park Manager again this morning, I think I discovered why the park breaker didn't pop. I flipped the breaker for my site as indicated on the panel. The power stayed on. This would explain why it didn't pop in an overload condition. This is probably what is also causing the problem at the Txfer Sw. The breaker is fried closed.
One more thing to check before plugging in the rig. Going to spend so much time checking everything out that I'll just get set up and it will be time to leave. Lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

Progress is a good thing, Stewart.

Can you move to another site?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Good catch!

When it comes to power, you can never do enough checking and double checking.

You can burn a coach down just as quick with faulty power as you can with a lightning strike.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went up to the front desk to talk to the manager. It was his day off, but because of the situation the lady at the desk called him. I told him that I had shut off the breaker which was indicated to my site, and that the power did not shut off.
Now this was his reply. I'm not making thus up because you just can't.
His reply to me was that he couldn't understand that because its all new breakers, and that (now here's the kicker) the site numbers on the tags no longer line up with their breakers.
At that point my Idiot alarm went off so I said Ok Thank you and hung up the phone.
But wait it gets better.
He calls back and was concerned that I had shut off the power to another site and would appreciate if I didn't do that anymore.
WTF? I couldn't get back to my site quick enough to pull out.
I will never darken the door of this place again.
Riverland Campground, Elmsdale, Nova Scotia. Canada.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you mean that the circuit breaker wasn't on the pedestal but in a central breaker box? I've not seen a campground wired that way. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I've always found CB in the pedestal, which I turn off before plugging in my shore cord. Then I observe my Progressive EMS display to ensure everything is wired properly and power is O.K.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Do you mean that the circuit breaker wasn't on the pedestal but in a central breaker box? I've not seen a campground wired that way. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I've always found CB in the pedestal, which I turn off before plugging in my shore cord. Then I observe my Progressive EMS display to ensure everything is wired properly and power is O.K.
Lots of them with central breaker boxes. Some even are new!

Best wished Stewart!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort in Flagler Beach has ALL 50 amp pedestals WITHOUT circuit breakers at the pedestal.

Welcome to Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort in Beverly Beach, FL

Stayed there many times. Not common but you do come across these situations when you do enough traveling all over North America.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Hi Dr, yes the breaker is in a common box. Not necessarily a bad thing but when if as the Manager at the park admitted it is incorrectly identified it's a very bad thing. This is an older park, the only thing at the post is the receptical and the spigot.
We drove down to NH last year and found the cable hookup at the post a nice feature, haven't seen that here yet.

We're home now and the RV is parked, plugged into a 15Amp circuit just to keep the batts charged and the fridge running. We'll be back at it next weekend but not at Riverland. We'll be going to the Local KOA, it's a nice park and I know the breakers pop if you overload. Hoping for a 50Amp service so I don't have to worry about it.
I'll be monitoring the TXfer Sw throughout the week. By it's very nature it is resistive, therefore will generate a small amount of heat but nothing like we had a couple of days ago. I'm just glad I was there, it could have been a major disaster or even catastrophe had it caught fire at night.

I still have a couple of questions; Why did it generate the heat where it did, when at no other point down or up stream did it get hot, every other cable and connection point was normal. Is it a sign that the Txfer Sw is on it's way out or is already done for. How do I check it? I don't see a way to remove the Solenoid, it appears to be pop riveted into it's box.

I think I'm going to replace it anyway. Despite the park manager being a moron, and everything pointing towards the park power being the problem, I feel like there is still a cloud of doubt over the Txfer Sw. So to ease my mind, unless someone can give me a definitive answer, or way to prove the Sw, I'll just replace it for piece of mind.

Thank you to all who have responded. I can't tell you what a huge comfort it is knowing that I can reach out through the power of the internet and tap the incredible resource that is this site and it's members.
Stewart
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
What's the name of your existing transfer switch?

If it's IOTA, get rid of it!

I would suggest the ESCO Lyght Transfer Switch 50 amp.

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

There are many reasons I like this one but the main reason is that the neutral is switched just prior to the the two load legs. That's important because if you lose the neutral your 120 VAC devices do NOT like 240 VAC power.

If you look around you may find it at a better price.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What's the name of your existing transfer switch?

If it's IOTA, get rid of it!

I would suggest the ESCO Lyght Transfer Switch 50 amp.

LPT50BRD [LPT50BRD] - $159.95 : RV Power Parts Plus, Discount store for all your RV & Marine Electrical needs. Featuring the most trusted Manufacturers in the industry: Iota DLS Converters, Transfer Switches, Magnum Energy Inverters, Parallax Power C

There are many reasons I like this one but the main reason is that the neutral is switched just prior to the the two load legs. That's important because if you lose the neutral your 120 VAC devices do NOT like 240 VAC power.

If you look around you may find it a great price.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for the heads up on that one.
My current one is a Progressive Dynamics PD52, 50 AMP.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #26

Richard,
Please help me understand how 240 volts is going to get to my 120 volt appliances by losing the neutral. Since only one of the 120v lines goes to any given device, it seems to me that losing the neutral just opens the circuit and doesn't apply the other 120 volt line to the device. Thanks
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #27

Richard, Forget my previous post. I just got it. Thanks
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
No problem!

For the others that are reading or following this thread, I'll explain why for them.

When you lose the neutral at the transfer switch the power hasn't been split until it reaches the distribution panel. That's where the 240 VAC is divided into two 120 VAC legs each one powering one half of your RV.

I am not an expert by no means and I may be wrong on this because I know just enough about this stuff to be VERY dangerous but mostly to myself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard