Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 PM   #15

Unfortunately many shops don't have qualified techs so if your install is not one that they have already aped or have a cheat sheet on then since the monkey didn't already see it then monkey can't do it.

The current business model for too many shops is to dummy everything down so they can squeeze by without a trained work force reducing eveyone to just trained monkeys who can't think things out if it does not follow their recipie or procedure verbatim which is unfair to both their customers and their own employees.

Your plug was different then the one in his picture book so he could not go forward on the basic principle of how its suppose to work since he did not have the background or training to allow him to understand it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #16

I installed my Progressive unit (without remote readout) myself. It was much like described in posting #10. The toughest part for me was positioning the 6 gauge conductors inside a fairly small space of the surge protector. There is not much extra room, especially on the side with the current detecting loops. It is a DIY job for someone that is comfy with electrical jobs. Disclaimer.... use a professional if you are unsure.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you install this beside your electrical panel instead? Unhook wires going into panel, hook these to line in side, then add extra wire to output side, and rehook these to the panel.
Would maybe make it easier to remove if selling coach, and you wouldn't have to cut your 50 amp cord.

That's how I was thinking of hooking mine up.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The guy either doesn't want your business or just doesn't know what he is talking about!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjay View Post
Can you install this beside your electrical panel instead? Unhook wires going into panel, hook these to line in side, then add extra wire to output side, and rehook these to the panel.
Would maybe make it easier to remove if selling coach, and you wouldn't have to cut your 50 amp cord.

THAT's an interesting idea! I'll have to look into that.

Also, I'm fairly sure the 50amp cord I have is not the original. The plug won't fit through the whole in the bottom of the bay, which tells me that ain't the right cord.

As far as I can tell, the cords are pretty inexpensive. I think the big thing about the bay installation is mounting. I'm not sure how you would mount the sucker to the wall, I suppose you could just let it bounce around
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

And you're talking about the panel under the bed right? I betcha if the bed was lifted open, you would have easy access to all of that and any electrician could do it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The guy either doesn't want your business or just doesn't know what he is talking about!
I concur.

We are pretty unhappy with this shop. We paid them 600 bucks for a coach insepction / lookover, and they missed BIG problems, but also said they "could" do certain things, then took a lot longer than expected, but failed do said things, and then fed me a line about pretty much everything along the way.. this is 1 of a couple examples.

Either way, I found a new shop in town, and they seem to be really on the ball. They're working on the wall right now and the water leaks.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
And you're talking about the panel under the bed right? I betcha if the bed was lifted open, you would have easy access to all of that and any electrician could do it.
Yes, that's the place. Under the bed is a panel held in with a few screws. Look under there. Should be able to mount it to side of bed frame near panel.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, that's the place. Under the bed is a panel held in with a few screws. Look under there. Should be able to mount it to side of bed frame near panel.
That's a great idea! I will most certainly look at that asap!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

I had Bob Jones RV in South Houston right off of I-45 near Hobby Airport install my EMS-HW50. Ask for Chris Jones Bob Jones RV.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I had Bob Jones RV in South Houston right off of I-45 near Hobby Airport install my EMS-HW50. Ask for Chris Jones Bob Jones RV.
That's where she is right now.. and they said no problem on installing the surge - GREAT!

So now we now the bad shop is NOT Bob Jones
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
That's where she is right now.. and they said no problem on installing the surge - GREAT!

So now we now the bad shop is NOT Bob Jones
BTW, I use the portable version and isn't really an issue. It does allow me to check the post for proper power before I even back into a site.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We also have the portable model but it would seems to me that you could simply pull the wire from your ATS (automatic transfer switch), wire it to the surge protector and reconnect using the appropriate gauge wire between them. If that makes any sense.

You have L1, L2, neutral and ground. Not that complicated but if there is any question about it be sure to get a qualified tech to do the work.

Other than the possibility of theft the portable units work well and can easily go with you to your next MH. There are locks available for them or where possible padlock the pedestal door. Some CGs may frown upon that though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We also have the portable model but it would seems to me that you could simply pull the wire from your ATS (automatic transfer switch), wire it to the surge protector and reconnect using the appropriate gauge wire between them. If that makes any sense.

You have L1, L2, neutral and ground. Not that complicated but if there is any question about it be sure to get a qualified tech to do the work.

Other than the possibility of theft the portable units work well and can easily go with you to your next MH. There are locks available for them or where possible padlock the pedestal door. Some CGs may frown upon that though.
Yup ... which is a little weird since, in the event you were to drive off without going thru the Departure Checklist , the power cord can still pull out of the portable EMS without destroying the pedestal.

It would really be nice if campgrounds poured a separate block with an embedded welded eye for securing stuff.

Tags
install