Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

EMS not Sheding Load?

We're at a site with 50 amp service. It's very hot and all 3 ACs are cranking. We have electric water heater, a clothes dryer and my wife is drying her hair. I start to notice it's getting warm in the coach, the ACs have shut down. I go up and look at the EMS panel and see there is no power service. I go outside and the breaker has tripped. I reset the breaker and turn the dryer off, the hot water off and she starts with the hair dryer again. All 3 ACs are on and the outside breaker pops again.

So now I have a few hours to my self (the wife and daughter are out shopping) so I start mapping what appliances go to what leg of my EMS. I then start turning things on looking to see when the system starts to shed loads (I've previously seen the system work, so I know it worked at one time). I put all 3 ACs on, turn the dryer on and check the EMS. I'm at 42 Amps total between both legs. I then put the hairdryer on full power (EMS says its drawing 14 amps) and the total draw goes to 54 Amps, 4 amps beyond where I would think it should start shedding something. I let it run for a few minutes and then decide to shut the overloads down and think about what to check next.

Any ideas? I have a Precision Circuits EMS in my 2015 Discovery 40G. Not sure exactly which model it is, it looks like this Power Control System Central Monitor Panel Remote Display | Precision Circuits Inc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator

EMS not Sheding Load?

My EMS didn't show amps while on 50 amp hookup. You may have lost a leg at the pole which may cause this and therefore you're not getting the 50 on each side. My Bounder had a different EMS , so my thoughts here may not be applicable however they may be .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
YC1

My EMS panel does not shed while on 50 amps. As suggested you may have lost one leg of the 50 amp at the post.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A 50 amp RV Shore Power supply is really 100 amps total.

120 VAC (Leg#1) x 50 amps = 6000 watts

120 VAC (Leg #2) x 50 amps = 6000 watts.

100 amps x 120 VAC = 12,000 watts

That's a total of 12,000 watts of power to be used for the entire coach.

Sounds like you have a coach with 3 rooftop A/C's if your coach is like others you most likely have an Intellitec relay that will choose either the third A/C or the washer/dryer as you don't have enough power to run everything all at the same time on that same Leg.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems