Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

EMS panel has lost 12 vdc power

My 2004 Horizon motor home has an Intellitec EMS (Energy Management System) that has lost its 12 vdc power from the House battery. Consequently, the water pump, water heater, etc. won't turn on. When I feed +12 vdc from the Engine battery into the panel with a jumper wire, I can temporarily get the panel to work. Power and signals come through a 15 pin pin rectangular connector to the EMS panel from a bundle of 12 yellow wires from somewhere within the coach, but I don't know where to find the other end nor how to access the wiring at the other end. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
bilder532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
YC1

Check your bedroom closet for a fuse panel. It could be anywhere of course but you likely have a blown fuse. They can be a pain to locate.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=signal+tracer

One of these signal tracers can really take the misery out of hunting for wires and blown fuses. Put the tone on the wire that should have the voltage on it and take the sniffer around the RV to chase the signal. You will need to run a ground wire to the area of the panel for the toner unless you are positive you know one of the wires is ground.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #3

Open circuit found - problem fixed!

Your suggestion to "Check your bedroom closet for a fuse panel" was the helpful suggestion. [I had already checked the circuit breakers from the front side]. My panel is located under the bed. Getting to the back side of the circuit breaker box, I found the other end of the wire bundle from the kitchen side EMS that lacked 12 vdc. I saw it was connected to a daughter p.c. board labeled 4L64 of the Energy Management System that wasn't working in the kitchen. Good so far. This board should have had 12 vdc on pin 1 of J4, but didn't, so the whole board was dead. Going upstream, I found a crimped lug to a nearby spade terminal disconnected behind a 15 Amp 12 vdc circuit breaker marked "Monitor/TV" that was connected to a buss bar at 12 volts. I initially overlooked this disconnected (and mislabeled) wire until I realized that this was my problem and connected the spade to the nearby lug terminal and voila, everything worked! The lug had probably worked its way off the terminal during the rough ride on an Indianapolis, IN side street into our present campground. I lengthened the loop of wire and firmly tied it down nearby with a nylon tie so it won't come loose again. And I ordered your suggested "tone generator" for the tool box for the next event where wire tracing is called for. Thank you for the two good suggestions and the encouragement that help lead me to a successful repair!
bilder532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
YC1

Do some experimenting with the toner so you will have confidence when needed. Find a circuit that you can pull the fuse to such as a light etc and practice chasing the tone to the fuse panel.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, panel, power