Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
EMS vs. Surge Protector

I'm looking at some protection for my electrical system in my MH and looking for some user feedback.

It seems that minimally I want portable surge protection. But do I really need an EMS?

For those of you with EMS, how often do you encounter an unacceptably low voltage? Thanks in advance.
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I've had a few instances of low voltage. It only takes one to do more damage than the cost of protection.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
I'm looking at some protection for my electrical system in my MH and looking for some user feedback.

It seems that minimally I want portable surge protection. But do I really need an EMS?

For those of you with EMS, how often do you encounter an unacceptably low voltage? Thanks in advance.
only once since 1986 but I still use a Progressive Industries surge protector. cheap insurance.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, get an EMS. Not just a surge protector, but a unit that continually qualifies the power parameters and blocks if out of bounds. Campgrounds are prime to have power problems that can damage your RV and equipment. Cheap insurance. The units from Progressive are very good and commonly recommended.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm looking at some protection for my electrical system in my MH and looking for some user feedback. It seems that minimally I want portable surge protection. But do I really need an EMS? For those of you with EMS, how often do you encounter an unacceptably low voltage? Thanks in advance.
Not only the money it cost, but the cost what it may save AND the inconvenience of fixing or replacing the items especially if you are on vacation and are out of reach of your home base.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Another vote for EMS, so far about once a year I have had it shut down due to low voltage. It's nice to know you are fully protected and can usually see what current draw on each leg and voltage.

Steve
Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have experienced more Low Voltage situations than any other condition however I use a Power-Master Voltage Booster which takes care of any low voltage situation.

However, what IS more important that the Progressive Industries EMS device will catch are power problems where you have an open neutral or open grounds. Those are potentially VERY dangerous. An open neutral can do thousands of dollars worth of damage to your electrical devices and a open ground will kill you. In fact it did to a young 3 year old little unsuspecting boy.

See news article.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Another vote for the Progressive Industries PMS system. Have encountered low voltage on several occasions, open ground once and high voltage twice. This is in eight years of about half-time RV'ing. BTW PI will repair the device for the cost of shipping if you have proof that you bought it.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
That's why I'm leaning toward the Progressive SPP50XL. It has those features but does not low voltage detection. Sounds like it happens enough to be concerned.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Our Progressive EMS has saved us more times than I can count. At least once every season, we manage to stay at a CG with low voltage issues. Have had an open ground issue, spike issue & a couple of miswired pedestals.

Don't cheap out on protection. The consequences will be very expensive to fix.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

That's why I'm leaning toward the Progressive SPP50XL. It has those features but does not low voltage detection. Sounds like it happens enough to be concerned.
You are missing the BIG picture!

There is a HUGE different between detection and managing. You need to read some more about the differences.

The SSP-50X detects whether the shore power pedestal has an initial problem once you plug the device into the shore power BUT it will not cut off any BAD power to your coach. It will only light up some lights telling you what the BAD condition is THEN you have to be there to see the lights lit up to unplug everything so nothing gets damaged.

What you NEED is one of the EMS devices that will cut off the BAD power to your coach BEFORE any damage can be done to it.

May I suggest that you research these devices thoroughly BEFORE spending you money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You all have been a big help. I'm convinced EMS is the way to go. EMS-PT50C looks like the unit to get. Thanks for the insights.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Good move . It will serve you well.
Quote:
You all have been a big help. I'm convinced EMS is the way to go. EMS-PT50C looks like the unit to get. Thanks for the insights.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #14

In the 10 years we have been on the road,we have encountered more high voltage shutdown than low. It doesn't matter, high or low, either will cause damage

A plain surge suppressor is not worth the money since the incidences of it doing you any good are so limited. A EMS is priceless.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems