Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

I am looking at engine/system monitors. I am familiar with the ScanGauge and AutoTap products that connect to the OBD port for a gas-engine, and display a wealth of operating parameters via the engine computers.

But what about ones for diesel pushers? Since they don't have a similar OBD computer, I'd assume they won't work on one. I did a search and haven't come up with much except for a little bit about the SilverLeaf VMS series, and was wondering if there are any other similar-to manufacturers besides them. Any suggestions are welcome.

BTW: I am not promoting or diss'ing any specific brand/model, just trying to learn more about the availability of diesel-related products.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

I am looking at engine/system monitors. I am familiar with the ScanGauge and AutoTap products that connect to the OBD port for a gas-engine, and display a wealth of operating parameters via the engine computers.

But what about ones for diesel pushers? Since they don't have a similar OBD computer, I'd assume they won't work on one. I did a search and haven't come up with much except for a little bit about the SilverLeaf VMS series, and was wondering if there are any other similar-to manufacturers besides them. Any suggestions are welcome.

BTW: I am not promoting or diss'ing any specific brand/model, just trying to learn more about the availability of diesel-related products.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm looking at the VMSpc from Silver Leaf. It looks like a neat package but I'm concerned because I cannot find the diagnositic connector under my dash to hook it to. I don't want to order the package and then find out that my chassis isn't set up for it (mine is a Freightliner XCS). One of my main interests is being able to monitor Boost along with any engine fault codes.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Chasfm11 -

You might want to give SilverLeaf a call and chat with them to get your answer. I talked to 'em yesterday, and it was like taking a sip of water from a firehose. The guy I talked to (I think it was the owner) was a huge wealth of info about a lot of the different engine/tranny combinations.

Do you not have a boost gauge now?

Good luck.
R

Old 01-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi Ron,

I really like the Silverleaf product as well. A agree the information on their website is a little hard to find, but by going to the source of the information (Martin, the owner) you got some great first hand information.

An online reference manual I enjoyed reading that was published by Martin is also available.

Silverleaf Manual

For an idea of an installation, you can read This Thread on My Silverleaf

I'd also suggest calling RVUpgrades a dealer of the system, and the forum sponser for information on the unit.

I really like mine and if there is any question I can answer on the VMS200 please ask.

Chasfm11,
If you've got a XC chassis you should have the diagnostic connector. Look under your dash in the area to the left of the brake pedal. My connector is a grey round connector attached to a metal bracket on the firewall. It's a little tough to find, buried in the cabling, but you should have it.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I commented, mine is an XCS, not an XC. In my opinion, the XCS is probably closer to the Workhorse than the XC because it has leaf springs, not air bags. Mine is an Allison 1000 transmission, not the 6 speed 2000 or 3000. I'm sure that there are differences in other areas, too.

I installed my own CD player (it had a tape player), did some trouble shooting of my dash A/C vacum control system and feel like I've "lived" in the area around the brake pedal I probably have seen the connector, if it is there, and just haven't recognized it. I had a plan to call Freightliner Custom Chassis but maybe calling Silver Leaf as you suggested is a better idea. He might understand about my XCS chassis and Freightliner is not going to be able to tell me what GBM did with the connectors anyway. I'm sure if I could get a mental picture of the connector, I can locate it. I find the CB antenna under there, too, though it was no where close to where GBM told me that it would be.

I'm a computer geek by trade so that end of VMSpc is really exciting to me. My learning curve is on the other end of of the serial cable! I've read the manuals on the website and believe that I understand them. They just don't go as far as I would prefer. Maybe I should offer to do their technical writing for them? With 30+ years of computer industry experience, both user and technical manuals are something else very familiar to me.

Thanks for your information.

Charlie
Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did call Silver Leaf yesterday. Based on that conversation, I also called Freighliner Custom Chassis about the diagnostic plug location. There are supposed to be 2 - one near the engine and the other accessible to the driver location. I finally found the one near the driver - in the electrical compartment outside and below my driver's door. The one in the engine area remains hidden to me.

In further conversation with Silver Leaf, I discovered that VMSpc cannot gain information from my Allison transmission and may not get information about my ISB oil pressure because of limitation on data sharing in both of those areas by their respective manufacturers. New Freightliner/Cummins/Allison units have more robust data than my 2000 vintage ones.

I'm measuring the actual cable lengths required to hook up VMSpc to my diagnostic connector because my installation might require longer than average cable lengths. I expect to order the package shortly. My chief interests are baselining and monitoring turbo performance and having the ability to read engine fault codes. It looks like VMSpc will nicely meet those needs for me.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

I run VMSPC on a split screen with Street Atlas. It took me a few trips to decide what gauges I wanted displayed and I'm sure I'll change them again. Right now I have fuel used, trans. gear attained, coolant temp., trans. temp., and boost. If you have a laptop, VMSPC is the way to go although it does have a few bugs.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I have had VMSpc in our rig for over a year now. It has a wealth of infomation. Our Alpine only had H2O, oil press, and volt meter. VMSpc tracks our MPG by tank trip and over all. A new update added HP and torque figures (interperated data only), mostly for fun. I also use a max load guage so that I can keep from pulling 100% load climbing hills. One thing I was able to learn was that our speedo was 4 mph slow. The tank minder guage that tells you how far you can go on remaining fuel still needs work to report accurately, but I would not hesitate to purchase VMSpc. I also run VMSpc with Co-Pilot Laptop 8 GPS.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks much for all your valuable input. Does seem like the VMSpc version is the way to go (at least til I go out and get the right lottery-ticket!).

I want to make sure I'm paying for what I want and need this time, and not just getting a hi-tech doo-dad (already got enough of those). Had a similar gasoline-engine product that told me a ton of really amazing ... but mostly useless... things. Stuff like fuel-pressure at each injector, spark-duration, A/C head-pressure - all good things to a serious mechanic, but not needed by me while careening down the road. And once I bought that monitor-program, I couldn't send it back.

Never thought of a split-screen mode, thanks for the great idea. Was feeling bad that I'd have to lose my GPS-display on the laptop to read gauges, but now I can do both. yippeee.

Thanks again!
R

Old 01-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #11

The interface for the VMSPC requires a serial port. If you don't have a serial port on your computer, you need to get a serial to usb adapter. Here lies the biggest annoyance I've found with the VMSPC- occasionally, when you start the program it can't find the interface. Rebooting the computer will sometimes work, but I also found that starting the engine first so it's transmitting data before I boot up the computer usually works. Also be aware that not all adapters work with all serial devices, so If you need one and don't already have it, get the one that Silverleaf suggests.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Many thanks to all.

Just installed a VMSpc and am very happy with it.

Thanks!
Ron

Old 02-15-2006, 03:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well, who'da thunk it? I am actually getting some real use out of my new toy (shhhh... but don't tell the DW I called it a 'toy'!!).

On the first trip with the VMSpc, my tach, water-temp, oil-pressure and tranny-temp gauges all went on strike at the same time. I'm guessing it will turn out to be a bad ground or similar (since they all quit together), but it sure was a momentary heart-stopper to see everything telling me my entire drive-train had just fallen out on the highway.

However, a quick glance at the VMSpc told me everything was working as it should. My heart-rate went back to normal, and I don't think I'd even gasped loud enough for anyone to hear me.

Now all that remains is to trace all those gauge-wires back to the source. Wish me luck!

Thanks!
Ron