Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Expanding black and gray tanks capacity?

When dry camping in the boondocks we are time limited by our tanks if course, but would like to expand the limit. Don't like to break camp to drive the coach to a dump station. We get typically 7 to 10 days with conservation.

We have a jeep TJ so does not work for carrying a BlueBoy to a dump station. We usually camp too far away (several miles) to tow a BlueBoy.

Larger tanks installed? Additional tanks installed ? BlueBoy in a storage bay? Suggestions?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

2002 F53 with a 37 foot Fleetwood Pace on it probably does not leave much reserve capacity. How about a flatbed trailer with holding tanks on it to carry the Jeep which the Jeep can then tow to the dump station for dumping? Use a SaniCon Pump to do the transfer from the RV to the trailer so you don't have to lift or carry anything.

Figure about 8 lbs per gallon of extra tank capacity plus the weight of the tank if you are going to carry them full in the rv to the dumpstation. Most basement bins are not going to hold up well to to 400 to 1,000 tank full of sloshing honey going down a country lane.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
2002 F53 with a 37 foot Fleetwood Pace on it probably does not leave much reserve capacity. How about a flatbed trailer with holding tanks on it to carry the Jeep which the Jeep can then tow to the dump station for dumping? Use a SaniCon Pump to do the transfer from the RV to the trailer so you don't have to lift or carry anything.

Figure about 8 lbs per gallon of extra tank capacity plus the weight of the tank if you are going to carry them full in the rv to the dumpstation. Most basement bins are not going to hold up well to to 400 to 1,000 tank full of sloshing honey going down a country lane.
Good thought but I really don't want to handle the flatbed trailer. Though it might be a solution for some trips.

Anyone have a way to get a small trailer that could be carried to in turn carry the blue boy?

Wheel kits to enable the blue boy to be towed a distance?

Also have been considering a cargo rack that connects to receiver on the rear of the jeep to carry a blue boy. Although The larger blue boys are bigger than the dimensions of such cargo carriers.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think a cargo rack might be your best option, as long as a full tank doesn't exceed capacity of the hitch or rack. Putting larger wheels on the tank or a folding trailer would have to be registered and licensed in most areas. Might even have to have a 'hazemat' endorsement to tow such a thing!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did some more research on cargo racks. They are available in size and capacity to handle a blue boy. I need to do some measurements to see what I can get that will clear the oversized spare tire hanging on thru back of the jeep.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #6

There is also the Crewbed or similar extender to consider to allow the Jeep to better transport the BlueBoy and even substitute for when a pickup truck is needed. Stores behind the rear seats when not in use and can be used without folding up or removing the rear seats.

CrewBed TJ (1997–2006) | CrewBed
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
There is also the Crewbed or similar extender to consider to allow the Jeep to better transport the BlueBoy and even substitute for when a pickup truck is needed. Stores behind the rear seats when not in use and can be used without folding up or removing the rear seats. CrewBed TJ (1997–2006) | CrewBed
Thanks and a good idea. But mo room inside the Jeep. What little space there is full of stuff (tools, spares, jack, etc) for when on the trail. Don't want to be unloading and reloading all this stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

I don't think the BlueBoy tank could hold up with just a wheel kit. A two wheel motorcycle type trailer with it's own frame could do it. But you would be looking for one with a folding capability to transport onto the back and on some mounting point on the Jeep. That sounds like a custom build you could look into. Some states don't require a registration for such a small trailer, as long as it's used only on back roads, not interstates. I see one note above about Hazmat endorsement? Never heard of such a thing for a class (C) DL. And my experience with hauling Hazmat material reminds me that anything non-flammable less than 50 gallons would not fit that category anyway.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I don't think the BlueBoy tank could hold up with just a wheel kit. A two wheel motorcycle type trailer with it's own frame could do it. But you would be looking for one with a folding capability to transport onto the back and on some mounting point on the Jeep. That sounds like a custom build you could look into. Some states don't require a registration for such a small trailer, as long as it's used only on back roads, not interstates. I see one note above about Hazmat endorsement? Never heard of such a thing for a class (C) DL. And my experience with hauling Hazmat material reminds me that anything non-flammable less than 50 gallons would not fit that category anyway.
The 'Hazmat' comment was followed by a smiley face. IT WAS A JOKE!

I see you qualified that 'some' states require registration. The original comment was just a caution that registration (to haul it a couple of miles down public roads) would be required in MOST STATES.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

Thanks for the comeback Bob,
Yea you got me on that one for sure. The trailer statement is in reference to what I've witnessed in my home state of North Carolina. I'm not sure if it is at all legal, but I've seen some use small trailers to move debris from one point to another with no lights or plates and not get a second look from law enforcement, as long as the tail lights of the towing vehicle were visible. Seems to me a mini trailer is just what the OP is looking for.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote