Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #43

I will have quite a learning opportunity tomorrow when I have a look.

Pictures speak louder than words, and that after pic leave me speechless.

I need to find me some of those fancy trees in your before picture
milestogoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #44

The coach was a work in progress. It had come from the North and had not been maintained very well and had some road salt damage. I went through everything myself except the drive train and brakes which I had a shop that serviced fleet trucks and RV's go through completely or so I thought. The shine you see in the night time photo is not because the coach was wet either. I had several months earlier resealed the fiberglass with a boat restoration product that left it looking great.

I had gone through the water heater problem that you seem to be facing and everything in the house portion of the coach was 100% operational with new compressors in the basement air and the 7KW generator in tiptop condition. 3 new batteries and the inverter I installed would run take care all my electrical needs aside from air conditioning all day including TV and occasional microwave usage.

I had just put in heavier sway bars and calibrated the JetAir suspension so that was balanced just right and about perfect on the highway too.

The trees are at a local county beach park that unfortunatly does not allow overnight stays however is just great for a full day at the beach. Get there early in the morning and stay until sunset. Some times we meet up with friends who will park in the opposite direction and put picnic tables out inbetween the coaches under the awnings.

The 33RQ was just perfect for the beach parks as it would just fit the parking spaces and allow room for a car to park in the opposit space while the 35U I have now being a few feet longer and half a foot wider is a bit of a snug fit comparatively. The woodwork in the Vectra was nicer than the Adventurer too.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #45

My Vectra needs the fiberglass resealed. I would love to know what product you used. The picture I posted was from last summer but she really needs a wash at this point.

I have no mechanical skills and so must rely on paid professionals - but I try to keep up and am optimistic that I will make progress - slow and steady.

I have had trouble logging back in here on the mobile version, and have been busy all day today since it was warmer and sunny. For those of you who have been following along the good news is we survived the bitter cold and tomorrow night's return to zero degrees or less does not even scare me now!

Major change in plans: since I am no longer heading to Charlotte I reverted to my original goal of getting to the Oregon Coast. I am happy to say I have rented a space out there and will spend the time necessary to get the coach prepared for the trip while awaiting milder weather.

Knowing exactly where my destination is helps motivate me to get moving, but I am in no hurry now that I have found it possible to pull through an arctic cold snap. Thank you all for your advice, for sharing your experiences
and for calming my fears.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #46

I used PolyGlow which is used for restoring fiberglass boats. It involves scrubbing down a small section of the coach at a time with a fine scotchbright pad using a stripping agent to get all the wax off and then appying what appears to be a polymer similar to liquid floor wax with a chammie type wax applicator in very thin coats until the fiberglass is sealed. A shady place to work helps. Starting on the roof will for practice is a good place to begin. Once done the coach is easier to wash and will just require occassional touch ups once or twice a year. It takes quite a few years before it will need to be stripped off and redone. Everyrthing is water based and nothing special is really required aside from the chammie mop head which comes in the PolyGlow kit and a broom handle which you provide.

I can easily wash my coach with a Quikie Sponge mop and bucket or water with some Simple Green cleaner now which is great during our times of water restrictions where using a hose to wash and rinse a vehicle is prohibited. I use the outdoor Simple Green with the mildew and fungicide which is still environmentally friendly and available at most Home Depot/Lowes type stores.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #47

Thanks for the tips
I should have plenty of time to attend to the aesthetics in the Spring. She will clean up real nice!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogoB4 View Post
Thanks for the tips
I should have plenty of time to attend to the aesthetics in the Spring. She will clean up real nice!
Just be sure to keep up with the roof and gutter caulking. Consider EternaBond flashing tape for where the roof and front cap meet. I end it just far enough from the edge so it can't be seen from the ground.

Also keep in mind to flush the brake fluid and coolant every two years. Maintenance prevents a lot of problems over the years.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #49

Follow up is now off topic but
I have survived the worst Winter on record only to have my pipes burst in March when the worst was over
Neil I wanted to let you know I am sealing the exterior at this moment. Using the Zep high polish floor polish due to bugetary constraints. I am hesitant to mess with front and rear cap seams as they are functioning now and I have no experience with caulk. I think the gutters along the sides may need attention. What was a very minor area of delam last summer when I bought her has become more significant.
Thanks to all for helping me make it through the worst weather I could imagine.