Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Fantastic vent fan not working? Here's a tip

Just got back from a great trip to Florida Caverns State Park and Topsail State park. Everything was great. The weather, the bugs, the parks, the people. The Discovery was overall good, with a couple of small items. Most annoying was the vent fan in the bathroom was not working. The power lid worked find, but the fan would not run. Replaced the fuse, took the screen off and made sure the fan motor was not binding. Assumed the worst and figured maybe the motor had burned out somehow. When I got home today, after cleaning and emptying, I took a closer look. I had my volt meter and screw driver and was getting ready to start disassembling the fan assembly. Then for some reason I thought, maybe it would be worth taking a look from the top side. So I went on the roof and looked at the wires which appeared fine. Then I looked at the little plunger for the switch that turns the fan off when the lid is closed. It looked a bit low, so I pressed it with my finger and then it popped back up and the fan started working normally. Some rust or other crud was binding the plunger and that's all it was. I didnt want to spray WD 40 there, so I used some the the teflon type spray I use on my slide mechanism. The plunger seemed fine. Just for good luck, i went over to the kitchen vent fan (which had been working fine) and gave that plunger a squirt and worked it up and down a few times.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip. Glad you enjoyed the BUGS!
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the tip.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
My Fantastic Fan stopped working a few months ago... Had been fine. I checked everything like you did but did not think about checking topside. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for that tip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Been there done that.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Same thing I discovered...replaced rusty switch
Old 04-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. My fan is dead. Those things cost about $180 to replace...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Atwood Tech Support would have told you to check the plunger switch first as it is a very common problem.

I just replaced several squeeky fan motors, not very expensive:
https://www.dyersonline.com/advanced...esult/?q=90638

Keep in mind that the vent lid has a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

My fantastic vent function is operating very well with one exception. The automatic rain closure feature is not functioning. Has anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for and testing?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #11

gmarsha2 ...............Like the plunger, you may get away with just a little maintenance (cleaning). Good Luck
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsha2 View Post
My fantastic vent function is operating very well with one exception. The automatic rain closure feature is not functioning. Has anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for and testing?
There is really not a lot to them, at least mine looked very simple. When I called Dometic (parent company) they mentioned that my rain sensor may be bad. I am not sure whether it is bad or not - I haven't had it open in rain yet. Should be easy to test - drip a drop of water on the board and see if the lid starts to close.
I think if you go up and look at it (good time to lube that plunger switch) and see if there is anything obviously wrong, like it's dirty or a wire is cut - otherwise it (two wires) plugs into a board in the vent. Maybe it came loose?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsha2 View Post
For replacement parts check out rvvent.com
They even have an exploded view of an early model Fan-Tastic fan on the website, but it's hard to find and I can't remember how I did it now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, vent