Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Fantastic Vent fan replacement, just internals

I have an 05 Itasca with a basic 3 speed Fantastic Vent fan in it, no rain sensor, reversible fan, remote or any of the fancy stuff. I have access to another fan, complete but with a busted housing. It is a higher end model with all of the extras. My question is, can I just pull the fan and internals from the bottom and replace with the better unit or will I have to completely remove and remount the better fan? I'm not sure I want to bother if it involves a complete remount since mine works and isn't leaking.

I have had several of these before and mounted some from scratch but I'm not near my RV right now and can't remember whether they come apart or not.

Thanks in advance!
86scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

I recently had to replace the lifting motor and lift arm in mine and I was able to open the fan up from the inside of the coach. I actually did the entire job inside of the coach and it only took a few minutes. Whether or not the internals from the other fan will be compatible with your housing is something else however.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

I think I figured this out on my own. I called Fantastic Vent this morning and they were very helpful. They said it is indeed possible to leave the top housing mounted and remove all internals from below and replace with internals from another unit. I'll update this when I actually do the job but it's good to know. I hate to break the roof seal on one with no leaks or problems.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retrofit fantastic fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86scotty View Post
I think I figured this out on my own. I called Fantastic Vent this morning and they were very helpful. They said it is indeed possible to leave the top housing mounted and remove all internals from below and replace with internals from another unit. I'll update this when I actually do the job but it's good to know. I hate to break the roof seal on one with no leaks or problems.
My wife had difficulty reaching the fan controls in our used 2005 Tuscany. After the first year with this problem I ordered a retrofit kit from fantastic fan which upgraded it to remote control with a rain sensor. I didn't I needed reversibility so I dont use it. Also my fan is under a cover so I don't expect the rain sensor to ever be needed. What I got for my money was a new fan, lift motor, and remote capability. I installed the new equipment from inside the coach in an hour or two of fitting and jostling. We are very pleased with the results and would heartily recommend this retrofit to anyone. It really wasn't that expensive at all and I believe the value is well worth the money. Good luck, Al
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Thanks Al! That matches some other info I recently found so I think I'm good.

Tags
ace, fan, replace, replacement, vent