Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Finally able to log in and have a question

I was finally able to log in
I have been reading on hear a lot definitely a wealth of knowledge on this site. My wife and I recently bought a TT and love it. I have been thinking of getting a generator for my 50 amp TT and would like to run the whole camper including being able to charge my golf cart when we bring it along. The problem is I found a 9500 watt generator that I think will do everything I need but it weighs over 200 pounds and when I bring my golf cart (cart takes up bed of my truck)I have no place to put generator. So I was thinking I could make an adaptor to run my camper off 2 3500 watt generators. I think it will work since there is no 240 volt load. My thinking is 1 generator will provide 120 volts to 1 side of 50 amp plug the other generator will provide the other 120 to other side of 50 amp plug. I think this sounds good on paper but not sure if would actually work. I might add that as of right now I only have 1 A/C but plan on adding a second and would like to my generator set up for when I get it.

Thanks
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	48941  
Theflyinglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

You can get two, smaller inverter generators to run in parallel to make one big one, essentially.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks Jesilvas,
If 2 generators are wired in parallel won't they be bucking each other. that's why I thought it would be best to have 1 run one side of plug and the other generator run the other side of the plug essentially each gen would run half the camper independently

Thanks
Adam
Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Honda makes a genie you can run in parallel which would power your TT. And they are quiet.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, There are, as someone kind of implied above, different types of generators.

IN the "over 3,000 watt" class many are open frame "Contractor" models, these should be sold with earplugs included because they are LOUD, epically under load.

You can get these in smaller sizes as well but in smaller sizes we add.

Fully enclosed units.. These units are not nearlly as loud, But they tend to be small, Example Genrac 1000. (1000 watts)

And finally INVERTER generators,, These units are also fully enclosed, I have seen them in sizes from 1,000 to 5,000 watt in 1,000 steps (This is peak wattage usually) Many of them can be "parallelled" so as to double the wattage. Epically 2,000 watt models.

This is true: I was at Quartsite a few years back and the sales person was demonstrating Yahama inverter generators.

The 1200i (1200 watts peak 1,000 continous) I could not hear over the background noise at the rally.

The 2400i, I could hear but neither my companion nor the sales person could till it was loaded down

At half load, we did not need to raise our voice even though I was standing close enough to feel the exhaust against my trouses.

At full load we had to raise our voices.

So even though they are more expensive.. Go with the inverter types.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can parallel a pair of Honda EU3000i generators for a peak load of 6000 Watts. This should run the RV for most things. The Hondas are fairly fuel efficient. A 9500 Watt generator will be a fuel HOG.

The Honda (and Yamaha) inverter series are designed to be paralleled with no problems. You can add an extended run tank for the Hondas/

I carry a pair of Honda EU2000i generators which allows us to run one A/C and the microwave when parallel. If we do not need that much power, we can easily run on one generator and conserve fuel.

The nice thing about the Honda generators is the availability of parts and service across the USA.

Unless you are going to boondock out in the boonies away from all neighbors do not get a contractor grade generator. A lot of campgrounds restrict the use of generators to specific hours (and not at night) to allow for some peace and quiet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Why in the world would you want a 9500 watt generator? The 7500 watt Onan in our MH runs everything. Just curious......
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
The generator I was looking at already had a 50 amp plug built in and actually only has 7500 running watts. And is a lot cheaper than most inverter generator. Most of the generator I looked at were in the 68 to 74 db range. Just trying to figure which way to go I can't afford to spend 2 to 3 thousand on a generator that I am going to use a couple times a year

Thanks
Adam
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Adam, on the sound ratings, for each 3dBa increase the sound power level doubles.

62 dBa to 65 dBa is a doubling, 65 to 68 is another doubling, so 62 dBa to 68 dBa is a 4 fold increase.

It all boils down to you do get what you pay for.

If you get the loud contractor grade generator, you may well find it hard to put up with yourself. One solution is to use a long extension cor and put the generator as far from the RV as possible. It will help to place it behind a wall or create a solid barrier to reflect the sound away from you.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote