Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

First time owner

What is items do I need to purchase before I pickup my fifth wheel? What brand of sewer, fresh water hoses do I buy? I already purchase EMS protection. Do I need a antenna? What else?
Scottsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Are you purchasing from a dealer ?
New RV ?
Last time I purchased a new 5er at a dealership , they supplied new fresh water and sewer hoses.
If you have to buy your own , then for fresh water purchase a hose with stainless ends , and the best sewer hose you can afford ( Note : blue is not good , single season hose !)
Just about every RV comes with an antenna.
If this is a 5er that requires 50 amp power , then a 30 to 50 amp adapter , because not every park will have 50 amp sites.
Find a camp ground close to , a Walmart or Camping World , spend several days and expect to make several trips to the RV store.
Take a selection of screw drivers and wrenches with you . 1/4" drive set comes in REAL handy.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Skip gave you some good advice. I personally recommend the Zero-G collapsible water hose. I would also get a 45-degree clear sewer fitting to use on your sewer outlet to see when you have the black water tank clean.

You need a good filter system for your consumable water unless you plan to use bottled water. We use the blue Camco in-line filter at the spigot to stop the large stuff, and a high-quality carbon block 1/2 micron filter under the sink with separate faucet for all the water we consume.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #4

Hi...
I would recommend a surge protector installed in your rig. What this unit does is guard your wiring from faulty RV park electrical supply. It makes sure that all the wires are connected correctly BEFORE it turns electricity on to your rig.
You might be surprised at how many camp spots are wired poorly.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsk View Post
What is items do I need to purchase before I pickup my fifth wheel? What brand of sewer, fresh water hoses do I buy? I already purchase EMS protection. Do I need a antenna? What else?
Well, it's going to get dark and you'll want lights, so you are going to need a power cord. Make sure your rig comes with one, or get one to use with it. No way you can function without one.

You're eventually going to get thirsty, so you'll need water. I use a standard water hose for my incoming water. They do have some special potable water hoses that are white, but I've always just used a standard water hose. Some of those 45 or 90 degree hose fittings might be useful. I don't like my hose connecting sideways and kinking the hose or putting pressure on the fittings. I keep a 90 on mine so that the hose connects straight down.

The more you drink, the sooner you'll use the bathroom. Eventually, you'll have to drain that tank, so you need a sewer hose. I use RhinoFlex hoses and love them. They're kinda expensive though. You can get away with cheap ones for a while. They don't last as long, but they do work.

Other than that, get a cheap set of tools. Sockets, wrenches, pliers, a few screw drivers, tape measure, etc. Just basic stuff. I don't know when you'll need them, but you will need them.

Oh, the shower nozzle that comes with your rig will probably be terrible. Replace it with a decent one and you'll have much more enjoyable showers. Other than that, spend a few days in a campground near a Walmart or RV supply place. Nothing beats experience, so get a few nights of experience early and figure out what you want.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is what I think you really need: knowledge.

Don't run a 2-way electric-propane fridge unless the trailer is pretty close to being level. If you run it off level it will shorten the useful life of the unit and possibly create a fire risk.

Know how to properly care for your batteries if you plan on doing any boondocking. The little wire that goes from your tow vehicle to the trailer will barely charge the batteries so try to have another plan ready if you need it.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 09-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #7

Thank you, batteries can be tricky...
Scottsk is offline   Reply With Quote