Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Southwind 94 Propane Issue

Hello all, happy Holidays!

I love my “new” Southwind, but cannot get any propane to work! Yes, there is propane in the tank. Any help appreciated! Currently in Eastpoint, FL visiting family in Apalachicola, the “riviera for rednecks”! Lol

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Katy

P.S. A big thank you to the man from Arkansas who tipped me off to this site and helped me with my water today!
katykaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

I have experienced issues with propane in the past and have always been able to traced it back to a couple of possible things:

1) is the RV level?
2) is your RV house battery strong enough to send a spark to the fridge or furnace to ignite the propane?
3) you could have rust from the chimney flue blocking the burner tube

There are some good videos on You Tube showing how to clean the flue.
Jim.B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykaty View Post
Hello all, happy Holidays!

I love my “new” Southwind, but cannot get any propane to work! Yes, there is propane in the tank. Any help appreciated! Currently in Eastpoint, FL visiting family in Apalachicola, the “riviera for rednecks”! Lol

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Katy

P.S. A big thank you to the man from Arkansas who tipped me off to this site and helped me with my water today!
Katy:
I understand you did state "new" but have to ask you anyway....Has the propane fixtures ever worked? Buying a RV without check-list inspection?

Okay, so if your sure propane is in the tank and with Jim.B1 said already, could be the regulator or check down stream for an added diy shut off valve.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #4

Thank you for those tips.

Take care,
Katy

1994 Fleetwood Southwind, Chevy 454 engine, Onan generator.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #5

I am kind of a ditz so trying to remember but I’m 99 percent sure I had her show me the propane on stove worked and the furnace. I’m thinking there’s a switch somewhere inside we can’t find. There is propane in tank checked yesterday.

Can you suggest where a regulator might be or a possible switch?

Thank you,
Katy

Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #6

Sadly no on checklist, I bought from a private owner and tried to go through most important things... However, since they had all manuals etc I thought I could figure the rest out.

But maybe there is something else I need to do on propane tank. I’m sure she showed me a flame on the stove. This was after a 10 hr drive to Virginia to get it.

My brother looked at everything too and couldn’t figure it out. What would added shut off valve look like?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Ok it was tiny little LP regulator switch! Lol. How do I delete this thread. Feeling dumb. Suffered needlessly in Birmingham at 27 degrees! Luckily had lots of blankets and two dogs. Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

Thank you. How do I delete this thread now? I found the LP regulator switch!!! Lol.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Don't worry about deleting the thread. We all do something like that. It's just part of the RVing experience.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Katy,

First shower I took in our rig was cold because I didn't know I needed to turn on the water heater. We all have our little thing that we mess up. People have struggled with the shower turn off on the end of the shower head. We all do it so don't worry about it. You will never forget this.

Best of luck and lot's of heat. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #11

Katy:

Sorry got back on here late, but happy you figure it out, Good Job!!Make sure your Co2 is working properly.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Same thing happened to us, we were working on putting in a grab bar in the bath room and bumped the power switch on the propane detector.Didn't find out until we were ready to leave for the weekend. Took about an hour to figure it out.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Katy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Glad you found the problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #14

Thank you everyone!!! :-).

It’s a funny story after the fact! Lol. Hope I also figured out how to winterize it properly also bc I am home now in Ohio, brrrrrr!!!

I highly recommend you all visit The Forgottem Coast of Florida! It is so beautiful!

Stay warm, happy and healthy. Enjoy each day and your RV!

Cheers,
Katy

Tags
fleetwood, southwind