Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Fluorescents not working?

I recently had to replace my charger/converter and replaced it with an Iota DLS55. No real issues changing it, but I did short out one of the 50amp circuit breakers when trying to get the +positive cable out from the old charger.

Now that the new charger is in, the interior fluorescent lights will not work. They start to come on, one half dimly comes on, but that is all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

We are new to rv'ing and it sure seems like every time I get one thing fixed, another breaks. Kind of a good thing as I am learning very quickly on how to fix things and where to look.
fireandrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

First thing would be to replace the tubes, they go occasionally so it doesn't hurt to have a couple of spares on hand if it's not the problem. The second thing I would check are the ballasts, they can also go. I have replaced one and once out it was obvious it was bad, it smelled and looked burnt. They are more money, but still cheaper than an entirely new fixture, can't remember for sure but I think I paid under $30. Good luck.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would remove the tubes and then put them back in. Sometimes it is just a bad contact on the pins.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you sure your batteries are ok?

Mike
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

I thought I was sure the batteries were ok,,,but when I got home last night, I started to check voltage and found that the voltage to the batteries was only 8.3. Checking all of the connections, I narrowed it down to a manual reset circuit breaker that had tripped.

The circuit breaker is a 50 amp breaker and the charger/converter is 55 amp. So assuming the charger peaked for some reason and tripped the breaker, a 50 amp is not sufficient. I have ordered a 60 am manual reset breaker with the thought that the breaker should be at least 10% and no more than 20% of the maximum load (that is what I was taught by the head electrical engineer at an ambulance manufacturer I used to sell for).

I should have the circuit breaker in the next day or so and I will update as to whether this was the permanent fix or not. But as for now, when the circuit breaker is reset, the lights function as supposed to.

Thank you all for the input. Hopefully this will be the fix for this situation, then on to the next one.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

So,,here is the update and now I am really stumped.

Yesterday, after having the coach plugged in and the house batteries fully charged, I took it for a 5 hr drive. About half way up the road, I lost almost all of the power in the coach. I checked voltages and here is what I found.

The house batteries had 7.6 volts
Chassis batteries had 13.6 volts
There was an isolator above batteries had 13.6 coming in from the chassis batteries and 7.6 in from the house batteries. When the ignition is on, the ignition wire has 12.8 coming in and the ground checked good. So,,,in my infinite wisdom I figured the isolator was bad.

I replaced the isolator this morning and had the house batteries charging for a short, very short, time. Now, nothing gets passed the isolator again.

Voltage readings from the house batteries are back in the 8 range and the the chassis remains constant at around 13.4-13.6.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you have some shorted cells in the House Batteries. Take them out and have them tested
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

@ John,,, I think You nailed it, went out his morning and one of the house batteries was steaming. Replaced the two that came with the coach with three new deep cycle batteries early this AM and as of now we are working well. The isolator will be replaced in the morning and, hopefully, on to the next problem.

Thanks everyone for the input, all of this has definitely helped.

Charlie