Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For Amish Cooling Unit Owners Only

Well I've finally, once and for all made the decision to have the Amish unit installed in my Norcold 1210IM.

I would like to hear from those who have done it and what your experience has been before placing my order later this week.

I have read many threads about why I should go residential, but I have decided to keep the propane option and go this route. So Amish only please.

Through all the reading here one thing I noticed is the instance of many to cite NotsoCold - NeverCold over and over again to the point I got tired of seeing it. Mine runs perfectly cold now so that has no bearing on my decision. It's the potential fire factor that motivates me.

I realize the Norcold has issues but so do many other brands, manufactures, engines, chassis, etc. I have never see them referred to by a clever, derogatory nickname whether the shoe fit or not. I will be taking the cure for this peeve a little later in the form of a nice glass of red wine or two with our Easter dinner. So thanks for humoring me.

Good, bad or indifferent, I would love to hear your Amish experience and have a thread that captures just that. It might help others and it may shore up my decision - which as I have stated - is made.

If you have an Amish story to tell, please do. If you don't feel like typing it a thumb and a yep will do nicely.

Thanks to all.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well I'm not Amish.............I'm Hungarian. And Happy Easter to you too.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Did mine last summer.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pitched the No-Cold in the trash and installed an Amish cooling unit. Works like a champ so far. Pulls down faster and holds temp better. I don't know why No-cold does not just buy their cooling units from the Amish.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

We installed our Amish cooling unit in our norcold last summer. works great. we couldn't be happier. relatively easy to install. The worst part of the job for the wife and i was sliding the Norcold back into its location.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I did the conversion myself in late January. Slow job that requires matching all the wiring, building a platform to slide the unit out, taking out the old unit and installing the new unit with a careful job regarding the thermal mastic and expandable foam.

We are in the Florida Keys now and its been running great for a week and a half. Seems to actually be getting stronger as time goes on.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So only 4 people have done the Amish upgrade to their Norcold? I thought this would be full of replies by now. Maybe not as common as I thought.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We did the Amish CU at the factory with our 2006 Adventurer 38J last July. The process took about 4 hours from start to "cold". They added an extra cooling fan above and sealed up some "dead space" while at it.

While we saw some improvements in performance we also had some issues with it keeping cool enough during the worst of the heat. The freezer was never a problem but the refer was. We did a lot of things such as moving the thermistor and such but nothing seemed to really get it to work well. Even as cooler temps of the fall arrived we didn't see much improvement from over the summer temps except that we could dial it down from 6 - 5.

I believe the problem was not related to the CU but instead to the enclosure with too much dead air space. This reduces air flow over the coils. This installation manuals are available at Norcold refrigerators - download Norcold manuals

Refers in slide outs (ours was not) also need to have baffles properly installed and configured. Keep an eye out for that issue too.

Sorry, I'm not Amish but had to reply.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So only 4 people have done the Amish upgrade to their Norcold? I thought this would be full of replies by now. Maybe not as common as I thought.
5 replies on a holiday week-end , give it a week, I'm sure you'll hear more.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
5 replies on a holiday week-end , give it a week, I'm sure you'll hear more.
Thanks Skip426 - a little anxious - also meant to put "Install" in title but flubbed it with iPhone and couldn't edit it. So thought I'd bring it to the top of list with a little more clarity before asking admin to edit title. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
How's that for a title?

Quote:
So thought I'd bring it to the top of list with a little more clarity before asking admin to edit title. Thanks again.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66
How's that for a title?
Only Awesome. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As usual, there will be no charge for the assistance.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I did the Amish cooling unit installation in my Norcold 1200 back in July 0f 2011. So far the new cooling unit has worked flawlessly and I am happy with the results. Now with everyone retrofitting with a residential refrigerator, I might have gone that way had I known. But for the money I spent, I can't complain.
Here is a video I made of the process involved in installing the Amish unit.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote