Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
frantic call from storage facility

As a relatively new RV'er we were looking at threads last year regarding whether to drop the levelers or not while in winter storage. The "yes, drop the levelers" won out and we extended the levelers before storing - to take some pressure off the suspension and tires. Last week I received a frantic call from the manager of our winter storage facility saying that our coach had a terrible lean, and the back tires were actually OFF THE GROUND. I had him send me pictures (see below) and yes, the tires were OFF THE GROUND!

Being 10+ hours away, I talked him through starting the engine (left him a spare set of keys just in case) and raising the levelers. Can you see the stress on the port side levelers? Thank god they retracted but I'm not sure about permanent damage - and won't know until we pick the coach up next month. I have been complaining about not being able to properly level the coach since we took delivery - now maybe they will believe me that there is something wrong with the starboard pump or lines.

We have a service appointment first week of April - although we're still under warranty, we'll be praying that there isn't any permanent damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	van tilt2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	193997   Click image for larger version

Name:	van tilt.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	193998  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect the hyd solenoid for one of the jacks is just leaking internally, and it let the jack slowly leak down (retract) on that one corner. I doubt there is any damage to the coach from frames twisting or such.

When you pick up the coach you can take to a shop and have the solenoid tested/replaced.

I would not leave the coach stored on the jacks for that reason.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No way a leak caused that jack to lift the back of the coach!
That hyd pump needed to be running to do that.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I have a feeling the the "lift" is more from the collapse of the right leg than a further extension of the left?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I suspect the hyd solenoid for one of the jacks is just leaking internally, and it let the jack slowly leak down (retract) on that one corner. I doubt there is any damage to the coach from frames twisting or such.

When you pick up the coach you can take to a shop and have the solenoid tested/replaced.

I would not leave the coach stored on the jacks for that reason.
Thanks for the input - we will have that checked for sure, and I think we learned our lesson about storing "jacks down"
Old 02-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Hydraulic fluid doesn't just 'flow' from gravity to lift an RV off its tires. Someone or something must have turned the pump on. If one side drooped, it still wouldn't force the rear off the ground. Unless the RV rolled due to the parking braked wheels losing contact with the ground, I don't think damage was done. If it rolled, a jack could be bent, but it doesn't seem to have happened.

Interesting, please inform us on what caused the problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
I have a feeling the the "lift" is more from the collapse of the right leg than a further extension of the left?
Well, for that to have happened, he would have had to park it with both sides raised so high all 4 rear tires were off the ground.
I doubt he did that.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #8

Probably auto leveled having very little weight on the rear tires and the right front and rear jack creaped down.

Cut one leg short on a 4 leg table. The cut leg or the opposite one will be off the ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Probably auto leveled having very little weight on the rear tires and the right front and rear jack creaped down.

Cut one leg short on a 4 leg table. The cut leg or the opposite one will be off the ground.
The photo shows a diesel pusher. I'd think there'd be enough weight on the rear to keep it on the ground even if the front right corner jack lost pressure. Even a flat tire on that corner shouldn't lift the rear tire off the ground. Something made the pump come on and lift the left rear.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The photo shows a diesel pusher. I'd think there'd be enough weight on the rear to keep it on the ground even if the front right corner jack lost pressure. Even a flat tire on that corner shouldn't lift the rear tire off the ground. Something made the pump come on and lift the left rear.
There is positive proof that 1 jack extended can lift a rear tire off the ground. Its in the pictures to OP sent.

If 1 jack can do that, then extending 4 jacks and then having 3 come down can also do it. The jacks are inside the chassis rails, closer to the center of the MH then the tires. Think See Saw.

I wasn't there, but unless the storage guy, who has the key, was playing " Space Command , on the jack control pad, my theory works.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There is positive proof that 1 jack extended can lift a rear tire off the ground. Its in the pictures to OP sent.

If 1 jack can do that, then extending 4 jacks and then having 3 come down can also do it. The jacks are inside the chassis rails, closer to the center of the MH then the tires. Think See Saw.

I wasn't there, but unless the storage guy, who has the key, was playing " Space Command , on the jack control pad, my theory works.
I'm well aware that jacks can lift a wheel off the ground, I've done it often changing tires and other maintenance procedures. My point is that I don't see how if the jacks are extended just to relieve pressure from the tires and suspension (as the OP stated) that a jack in one corner leaking down would cause the opposite corner lift the rear off the ground.

We'll just have to wait until the OP can report back on what he and his mechanic report.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
On a positive note, if the driver's side jack(s) lowered and the RV leaned the other way, the roof the the coach may have touched the roof of the shelter. Then damage to both may have occurred. A good lesson for all of us parking close to something is to maybe leave the coach on the ground, no jacks, when we are away. Thanks for sharing...
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
All depends on how high the coach was lifted originally. The tires on the still lifted side could come off the ground if the starting height was fairly high. In this case, the driver's side jacks held their pressure. They became a pivot point when the passenger side jack(s) lost pressure. It makes sense that the driver's side of the coach would go up when the passenger side went down.

Think see saw,,, not quite the same but similar. If one side goes down, the other goes up.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
On a positive note, if the driver's side jack(s) lowered and the RV leaned the other way, the roof the the coach may have touched the roof of the shelter. Then damage to both may have occurred. A good lesson for all of us parking close to something is to maybe leave the coach on the ground, no jacks, when we are away. Thanks for sharing...
Great point Gregoryj! Could have been much worse and hopefully no damage to the left supports. Lesson learned, I'll let you know what happens after our service call.

Tags
storage