Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #1

Fresh water drain valve replacement

This is in a Harney Pusher.
Drain valve has started dripping on the fresh water supply. This is basically an inturruption in the line from the tank with a valve that can divert water down into a third line that goes to it. It's all pex tubing, and the clamps are not what I am used to seeing in domestic plumbing. Rubber or plastic? Anyhow...
1. What should I replace it with?
2. How is best to deal with these clamps?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

I have not seen your setup but it is a generic question in a generic form so you get a generic answer. You can replace the valve with anything that you can make fit.

If it was plumbed with PEX the crimp rings need to be cut off with about any tool you can get into a usable position. If it is copper or brass it is relatively soft. A dremel or vibro tool will do the job nicely. So will any hack saw blade on a diagonal. If it is a stainless steel band with a square crimp use abrasives so the dremel is probably a better choice.

The problem with PEX is putting it back together. The cheap crimp tool that works with a vice grip will work but is a PITA. A usable crimp tool starts around $50 and goes up from there. That left a lot of room for the Shark Bite type fittings that are more expensive but do not need a crimper. Lowes and Home Depot both carry them. I'd start by taking a look at what was available and what I have to fit or adapt then go from there. The easiest would be a ball valve in the line to the existing valve or replacing the existing valve. I tossed in the first one because it might be easiest to just cut the tubing and add an in line valve.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fresh water, replace, replacement, water