Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #1

Hi Folks. I have developed a leak which has to be where the black (yes, black, maybe 1/2" circa 1981) pipe from the fresh tank attaches to the fill valve. It leaked a little for a while when I filled the tank, but now it continues to leak AFTER I have filled the tank and it doesn't stop leaking until the tank is down to about 3/4 full. It's a 100 gallon tank so I am losing about 25 gallons every time I fill up.
The pipe is clamped onto the valve with a steel or aluminum band which appears to be crimped in 2 places 180 degrees apart.
I don't have that kind of a clamp, or a crimper. Do you think cutting off the end of the pipe, along with the clamp, putting the pipe back on and using a plain old screw-tightened hose clamp would work?
It has stopped leaking now, but in a week or 2 I'll need to fill up again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #2

Hi Folks. I have developed a leak which has to be where the black (yes, black, maybe 1/2" circa 1981) pipe from the fresh tank attaches to the fill valve. It leaked a little for a while when I filled the tank, but now it continues to leak AFTER I have filled the tank and it doesn't stop leaking until the tank is down to about 3/4 full. It's a 100 gallon tank so I am losing about 25 gallons every time I fill up.
The pipe is clamped onto the valve with a steel or aluminum band which appears to be crimped in 2 places 180 degrees apart.
I don't have that kind of a clamp, or a crimper. Do you think cutting off the end of the pipe, along with the clamp, putting the pipe back on and using a plain old screw-tightened hose clamp would work?
It has stopped leaking now, but in a week or 2 I'll need to fill up again.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #3

Oops. After careful examination, it is the 2 piece Thetford City Water Inlet that is cracked, at the base of the threads holding the pipe fitting on.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Replace the city water inlet check valve and you should be good to go.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

I found out that Thetford no longer makes this valve, and I'm out in the desert, so I repaired it by forcing some Goop into the crack and then clamped it with a vice grip for 24 hours. It may not last forever but it is working fine now.
It didn't leak when I filled the tank about a week ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since.
Goop - Don't leave home without it.