Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #1

Fresh water tank keeps filling up

Anyone familiar with this: While driving to an RV park, I keep less than 1/3 fresh water in the tank for light use while on the road. At the park, after hooking up hose to the water line, the system is supposed to bypass the pump and the tank and just run straight to the fixtures. so when I unhook the water line 3 days later, I should still have 1/3 tank. That's how it has always worked. Today I saw water running out of the outside filler/over flow cap. I went inside and checked the fresh water tank both physically (see thru tank) and at the meter, it was full to the top. So even though the water was running straight to the fixtures on it's own accord without the use of the pump, it somehow or other also filled up the tank. I shut the city water off and emptied the tank and within 2-3 hours, again it was full. I disconnected the city water hose and just used the pump. However, the first 10 minutes of on and off use, it was making some ungodly noise. It eventually went back to the normal low hum.Obviously some sort of bypass is NOT bypassing. Does this sound like a fix anyone out there has had to deal with in the past?...tks...Art
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are having a similar problem with the fresh water tank filling when hooked to the campground water supply and the pumps off???

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

I assume that you have a selector valve that you put in one position to fill the tank and the other position to use "city" water. That valve may be leaking or have sediment in it allowing water to bypass valve and go into the tank.

I currently have the same issue. While I am getting around to replacing the valve I just make sure to firmly put the lever into the city water position.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest cause of this problem is the check valve in the water pump. There are multiple fixes/workarounds for this.

1. Rebuild the water pump
2. Replace the water pump
3. Add a check valve between the water pump inlet and the water tank
4. Add an ordinary valve between the water pump inlet and the water tank
5. Check the city water fill valve (least likely thing to fail but it can happen)

I personally would do number three. It is the easiest and fastest fix.

And never leave the water pump turned on when connected to city water.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I assume that you have a selector valve that you put in one position to fill the tank and the other position to use "city" water. That valve may be leaking or have sediment in it allowing water to bypass valve and go into the tank.

I currently have the same issue. While I am getting around to replacing the valve I just make sure to firmly put the lever into the city water position.
Good point but...I made sure the valve was in the right position. I even turned it on and off but it still filled up. I will contact the local RV dealer tomorrow. Thanks for your input though.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The biggest cause of this problem is the check valve in the water pump. There are multiple fixes/workarounds for this.

1. Rebuild the water pump
2. Replace the water pump
3. Add a check valve between the water pump inlet and the water tank
4. Add an ordinary valve between the water pump inlet and the water tank
5. Check the city water fill valve (least likely thing to fail but it can happen)

I personally would do number three. It is the easiest and fastest fix.

And never leave the water pump turned on when connected to city water.
Thanks Luvlabs...good info.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

The plastic knob on the selector/fill valve slips on the shaft. Common problem on Winnebagos. You just think it is in the proper position, it may be half way in between.

Charles
Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The plastic knob on the selector/fill valve slips on the shaft. Common problem on Winnebagos. You just think it is in the proper position, it may be half way in between.

Charles
I checked the valve (knob) It's a simple metal quarter turn on...quarter turn off. I tried forcing it in either direction after it appears to stop, it locks in place with no slippage. Besides, when it is open the water rushes into the tanks and as soon as it reaches it's stop or "normal" position, the water inlet abruptly shuts off...at least it sounds like it does. You may be right though...there may be a slight gap in the opening 'cause I measured how much water flows into the tanks...over a 3 hour period, 4 gallons seeped in. I wish the valve (behind the sheet metal facing) was more easily accessible...I'd certainly give it a look. Well, I have an extended warranty and if it is a parts failure, it's only gonna cost me $50. at the dealer. I think I'll let them screw with it and pray they don't screw something else up in the offing. Thanks for your input Charles.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We are having a similar problem with the fresh water tank filling when hooked to the campground water supply and the pumps off???

momdoc
I measured my leak...it flows in at 1.3 gallons per hour. I have an appt with the dealer in 10 days. How about u? Are u gonna try a DYI remedy or dealer?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
I measured my leak...it flows in at 1.3 gallons per hour. I have an appt with the dealer in 10 days. How about u? Are u gonna try a DYI remedy or dealer?
At that flow rate, my bet would be a bad check valve in the water pump. A seepage through the selector valve should be a slower flow. If you can get to your water pump, you might be able to remove the line going back to the tank to see if there is any back flow through the pump.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
At that flow rate, my bet would be a bad check valve in the water pump. A seepage through the selector valve should be a slower flow. If you can get to your water pump, you might be able to remove the line going back to the tank to see if there is any back flow through the pump.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm not sure where the water pump is. I'll whip out my manual tomorrow. It has an exploded view of all components and appliances, I'll see if it's reachable. Thanks for the response...Art
Old 05-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #12

OK, a follow up. Apparently, the RV dealer/Service replaced a valve. Unfortunately, as in the many past visits to that facility, my service rep is never available or handy to explain what they found whenever I return to pick up my coach. It just says on the receipt they replaced a valve. I tested the system out today and it holds water, so, problem solved. Thanks so much to all for your advice/input. Art
Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, hope all stays well.

I've always said the Navy (1963-1967) was a million dollar experience I wouldn't pay a penny to relive.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 AM   #14
paz

The fresh water tank is filling for one of 2 reasons -
1. If you have a diverter valve on your water inlet that has "City Water" and "Tank Fill" positions, that valve could be leaking. This happened to us. The solution was to replace the valve with a new 3-way ball valve.
2. Check valve in the pump is leaking. Kits are available for rebuilding water pumps.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water