Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

Fridge inverter questions

I want to install an inverter just for the fridge.
Not the whole RV. So I want to keep the converter and put the inverter for the fridge. Dometic in a 2005 pursuit. The normal 2 way propane/ 120.

My question is how is the best way to install. When on shore power or generator I want the fridge to run from that. When driving on want it to work off the 2 6v house batteries then back automatically when plugged in.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think all you need to do is get an inverter with pass-through.
Just install it in the bay next to batteries if possible.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I think all you need to do is get an inverter with pass-through.
Just install it in the bay next to batteries if possible.
Right. Most are pass through. But looking how to install inverter and keep my converter as well.

Can't install next to batteries. They are in the front. Not underneath or the steps like other ones. Will run cables to front and install next to converter
Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Now that I'm thinking about it. The price difference between a smaller inverter and a 5000watt might not be that different.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

You want to run 120 volt wiring long distance, not the 12 volt inverter cables.

A 2 volt drop over the 12 volt cables is going to shut down the inverter.
A 5 volt drop on 120 volt cord, won't hurt a thing.

Are you wanting to run the gas/electric fridge ?
They are high amp draw on 120 volts. Could be up to 50 amps from your batteries and alternator.

Doing that, or a resedental 120 volt fridge, will only need a 1000 watt inverter. Preferably a Pure Sine Wave model.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You want to run 120 volt wiring long distance, not the 12 volt inverter cables.

A 2 volt drop over the 12 volt cables is going to shut down the inverter.
A 5 volt drop on 120 volt cord, won't hurt a thing.

Are you wanting to run the gas/electric fridge ?
They are high amp draw on 120 volts. Could be up to 50 amps from your batteries and alternator.

Doing that, or a resedental 120 volt fridge, will only need a 1000 watt inverter. Preferably a Pure Sine Wave model.
Yeah. Have the gas electric one. Not residential.
I really just.want the fridge to be cold while driving. I'm doing 8 hour drives and the fridge is warm when I arrive. Even with ice packs. No good. Claims to our lose 4 degrees an hour. Well after 8 I'm at 60+

Will not drive with propane on.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Piggy back on this thread.

Can I run a small inverter just for my sound bar.
I want that for driving. Not the car stereo.

It's maybe 60 watt draw. I was thinking of the small ones you plug into the outlet. But I'd rather get a 100 watt puresine wave for this

In have 12v where my outlet is. It was for the TV booster. But I'm not using that. So I have an on off switch for a small inverter.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

Then install a 1000 watt inverter. That will run the 500 watt fridge and the 50 watt sound bar.

Keep the 12 volt cables short and run an extension cord to the back of fridge.

When you get to your spot, turn on the very safe propane system and pull the plug for the fridge and plug it in to the regular outlet.

I drive with my propane on AND even sleep with it on.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #9

I put the fridge on "Auto" and just went with it. Never a problem. The problem was the Norcold fridge.....got rid of it.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Then install a 1000 watt inverter. That will run the 500 watt fridge and the 50 watt sound bar.

Keep the 12 volt cables short and run an extension cord to the back of fridge.

When you get to your spot, turn on the very safe propane system and pull the plug for the fridge and plug it in to the regular outlet.

I drive with my propane on AND even sleep with it on.
Re-read your post. Here is a suggested transfer switch that can be wired just before the fridge outlet to make it switch automaticly. The plug end goes into the inverter outlet. You can still use an extension between the inverter and transfer switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-04-03-16-44-45.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	240692

Tags
fridge, inverter