RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fridge Models good or bad ?

Looking to replace my 1200 with a Residential Refrigerator and just curious as to what models and make everyone is using, and which ones you think are the best.
I have a 2008 Winnebago destination 39W and looking two replace the refrig.

scooterbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
wow no responses

Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Most residential refrigerators can be used in a MH if you have sufficient batteries to support it. Pick your fridge based on your preferences. I personally like Samsung.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

All new fridges have a yellow or orange tag, on or in them, with a energy guide.

Find the size you need and then check the guide.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One thing worth pointing out is that Samsung sells a counter-depth fridge (RF18) at a "normal" price. Most counter depth refrigerators are considered "designer" items and are priced way above regular fridges. A counter depth fridge can be installed as a replacement for a Norcold 1200 without protruding more than an additional inch or two (and that is because of its door handles). Most "normal depth" residential fridges will protrude several additional inches.

This is one reason why Samsungs have been popular models to retrofit into RVs. In some RV applications the depth may not be as significant a factor and in those the importance of a counter depth model is reduced.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
One thing worth pointing out is that Samsung sells a counter-depth fridge (RF18) at a "normal" price. Most counter depth refrigerators are considered "designer" items and are priced way above regular fridges. A counter depth fridge can be installed as a replacement for a Norcold 1200 without protruding more than an additional inch or two (and that is because of its door handles). Most "normal depth" residential fridges will protrude several additional inches.

This is one reason why Samsungs have been popular models to retrofit into RVs. In some RV applications the depth may not be as significant a factor and in those the importance of a counter depth model is reduced.
Thanks docj
Samsung seems to be about the most popular was just wondering about the whirlpool and others people have installed.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Kitchen Aid KBFS20EVMS11. It is a big roomy fridge with a big freezer and it has worked well. The french doors are ok but you end up opening both of them just about all the time plus they don't close reliably, you have to be sure to push on them ro they might stay open just a crack. On the other hand you can open the fridge with the slide in which wouldn't be possible with a single door. They also need to be secured underway we place a cutting board near in the handles with some foam.

I like the freezer at the bottom, and the way it pulls out is makes getting at stuff pretty easy but it also dumps all the cold air out of the freezer and pretty much exposes the entire contents to warm air when you pull it out, so you trade convenience for energy efficiency. The ice maker cranks out ice.

With any residential fridge I would avoid driving with any weight in the doors. Most have big shelves in the door where you can put a couple gallons of milk and beer and all sorts of heavy stuff which I'm pretty sure the engineers designing the door did count on the whole fridge bouncing down the road fully loaded. Actually this goes for the other shelves too. We move heavy stuff to the bottom and the back and secure there with curtain rods.

Finally the thing uses at least 200AH a day maybe more so you need serious solar and big batteries to be off the grid.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Just replaced our Norcold 1200 with the Samsung fridg in November. I had to amend the small storage space under the Norcold, but other than that the Samsung fit well in the same space as the Norcold. I capped off the gas line that provided gas to the fridg. I have a 5th wheel, so I had to install an inverter as well. I'm guessing since you have a MH you already have the inverter.
Steve
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Just replaced our Norcold 1200 with the Samsung fridg in November. I had to amend the small storage space under the Norcold, but other than that the Samsung fit well in the same space as the Norcold. I capped off the gas line that provided gas to the fridg. I have a 5th wheel, so I had to install an inverter as well. I'm guessing since you have a MH you already have the inverter.
Steve
StevenD
I am thinking Samsung also at this point.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

When our Norcold 1200 went south, we replaced it with the counter depth Samsung. Very happy with that decision. Per my wife, "The ice cream is hard again." Life is good.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Bob,

Just replaced the Norcold in my 2009 Destination with a Samsung RF18. Can send you my notes if needed. I added an additional 1000W PSW Inverter to provide power. The Samsung pulls 3 AC Amps on start-up and pulls 18 DC Amps through the inverter on start-up. Let me know - be happy to share.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

My coach came with a GE side by side and so far no problems.

good luck

pointrow
Old 05-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey53usa View Post
Bob,

Just replaced the Norcold in my 2009 Destination with a Samsung RF18. Can send you my notes if needed. I added an additional 1000W PSW Inverter to provide power. The Samsung pulls 3 AC Amps on start-up and pulls 18 DC Amps through the inverter on start-up. Let me know - be happy to share.
Would like to see your notes mickey, and what it involved being we both have the Destination. Did you do it or have it done ?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #14

Im using a I replaced my old non functioning 3 way fridge with a Avanti RA7316PST residential model. 75 running watts. Had it about a year no problems .

Burnt_Money is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge