Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Fridge operation question

Would it be a bad idea to constantly leave the fridge on low when in storage? My wife and I keep our 2019 raptor in a Rv storage log. It will have the go power solar extreme package (510) Watts and 4 -6 12 volt or 6 (haven’t decided) batteries. The pro would be having the fridge pre cooled should we plan a trip last minute.
Our storage is about 30 min drive one way from the house.....

Let me know what you think?
Medicjt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

You're mixing up a couple questions in your post. The 1st one, should you leave the absorption refer on all the time? (Assuming it's a RV 2-way absorption refer and not a home style that runs on 120Vac).

Answer is yes. Leave on all the time if you can to extend it's lifetime. They can outlast the RV if left on all the time. If they are turned off/on several times over a camping season, you'll get maybe 7 years out of them. Longer if you camp in the SW and avoid oceanside camping. There's a logical reason for that that I explained in my blog post about it here: Refer Operation - Get the best out of your RV refer | Chaos Leaves Town

The solar question depends on many factors but I think that many watts charging up your batteries during the day should work fine to keep your batteries charged and the refer running all day and night. But only on gas (they make a 3-way absorption refer but you don't want to use the 12 volt heater if yours is the 3-way type)...but be sure to turn off everything else you can that's 12 volt to reduce the phantom loads.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would leave it off until a couple of days before a trip.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Residential fridge would be Ok, but RV fridge has a finite boiler life, which would be shortened by this practice. My brother left his on for 5 years, and it is now being replaced.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

There is no evidence one way or other.........leaving it on or turning it on/off....that doing so extends life/shortens life of an absorption fridge.
Running it OFF level WILL damage it

IF you are going to leave it ON......do so with some items inside.
Empty fridge is harder to cool/keep cool due to lack of mass that absorbs the cold and helps retain it.

But leaving it ON of turning it ON/OFF........matter of choice and 'ability' to run it 24/7.....as long as it is reasonably level.

Many posts about fridges still going strong after 10, 15, 20 yrs---owners turning on/off
Many posts about fridges dying within 5 yrs---owners leaving on

BUT no test results off 'leaving on' or 'turning on/off' life expectancy
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM   #6

I've had a different experience and developed a different perspective in perusing the RV'ing forums for around 16 years now. It seemed that those who turned their refers Off/On many times during the season maybe got 7-8 years out of them. Those that left them on all the time, like I did, often got much more. Mine was running fine after 12 years...but one sample isn't proof of course. I noticed that 7 year thing often with the off/on'ers but did not hear of it much from the always on'ers.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fridge operation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I've had a different experience and developed a different perspective........Mine was running fine after 12 years...but one sample isn't proof of course......
Well here’s one more sample, Jim. I’m the third owner of my 2002 DS. All three couples who’ve owned this coach have been fulltimers. The coach is equipped with a Dometic NDR1292 reefer. The coach was bought new in June ‘02, and the refrigerator has only been shut off twice in over 16 years, once in 2007 (first sale), and again in 2012 (second sale). Apart from those two times the reefer has been running continuously for over 16 years.
As far as I can tell there have been no major problems. I had to replace the original lower control board with a Dinosaur board a couple of years ago, and I replaced the thermistor at the same time. I also fabricated a bank of three cooling unit fans that seem to enhance the cooling somewhat. At age 16, on setting #4 my freezer stays at 11*F, and the box stays at 33-34*F.
I’ve been waiting 6 years to replace this with a residential, but it seems to be enjoying life.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #8

My MH is 18 years old, still running the original Dometic fridge.

We use it as a snowbird commuter between N.Y. and Fl., with some week long trips in between. If the fridge is not used its off.

Its been switched on and off hundreds of times. Still works great.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #9

Got a 1977 Class C with a Dometic fridge. It is always turned off when not needed. Still works just fine. Has sat for over a year with no problems.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #10

Hadco refrigerator, original to 1971 winnebago.been off at times for a year ,runs perfectly.....Ken
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge