Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Fridge quit working after move

Sorry I don't have time to research much here - I need help - as usual - fairly soon. We moved about 10 miles, elec was off about an hour. That was last Tuesday (3 days ago). The fridge has not started up. All the displays are on, looks like it's working but it's not.

We switched it to propane, now the freezer feels like it's working but the bottom still feels like it's getting warmer - certainly not getting cooler. I read here about several things to try, will do later. However - just yesterday we had a mobile RV person here on another issue, and he kind of blew us off by saying see the lights work, the display works, it takes a while for the fridge to cool down after being off. We tried to tell him the facts m'aam, but he didn't get it. My question is - is it coincidence that it worked till we unplugged and now it doesn't? Yes we are level. We are however using a 30 amp adapter cause the system here is 30 (we are 50amp coach). The first night here the elec blew (landlord said he had put us on same circuit as his Christmas lights - sigh). He flipped the breaker and elec is fine. BUT we wonder if that was a factor in the fridge issue.

Thanks in advance.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
does it work if you put it back on electric? if so you you probbably just need to clean your burner. sometimes the flame may look ok, but you should clean it anyways to see if it helps.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mind was the same way display show everything working, but not cooling. Had to replace cooling unit
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

The first and easiest thing to check is the temperature setting. Our frig will reset the temp setting to 2 when we unplug from shore power.

On the control board at the back of the refrigerator there are two 5 amp fuses. The glass one controls the 120V heaters. It's possible either during the move or just by concidence, you blew that fuse. If you replace the fuse, and it immediately blows, your 120v heating elements have shorted out.

If your freezer is getting colder, your refrigerator should also be getting colder, but at a slower rate. If it's not and the cooling unit is OK, the most likey source, as was mentioned by an earlier poster, is a dirty burner. You can do a brief cleaning by opening the site hole, turn off the refrigerator and wait a few minutes, then using an old tooth brush, clean the burner through the site hole. Be careful not to move the ignitor. If the burner is dirty you will probably see some rust, etc come off with the toothbrush. Close the site hole, and turn on the refrigerator. In a short period of time you should feel the results.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
does it work if you put it back on electric? if so you you probbably just need to clean your burner. sometimes the flame may look ok, but you should clean it anyways to see if it helps.
I just reread your question. was your frig on electric when you tripped the circuit breaker?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

Thanks. And it turns out the freezer is not working. And we did check the temp settings, up to the maximum. Someone referred to flame? And what is the burner? I will check some of these things tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You are trying to get the refer to work on AC? And the light inside is coming on when the door is open? And the plug in the back of the refer is getting power to it? Just saying.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

We have tried AC, LP and AU . Yes the light turns on when the door is open. Looks perfectly normal!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I just reread your question. was your frig on electric when you tripped the circuit breaker?
Yes it was on AC.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Yes to your question MILK, it was on AC. - well it was set on AU but since we were hooked to elect it was running on AC. We had been parked for a few hours before the shut off , but didn't know for sure if it was working but we do know the displays were working.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #11

With the frig on AC and runnig for a few hours feel the insulation blanket just above the lp burner. This aria should feel warm or maybe even hot and is heated by the ac heaters. If cold to the touch than try running on propane. With the refer on propane you should see a bright blue flame thru the pep hole in the burner aria and the insulation above the burner should be warm. If all is warm or hot near the burner than feel the temp of the coils just above the pc board cover and they shoud be just warm to touch and the freezer back panels should be cold. If not than your cooling unit may have given up and I stress MAY.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #12

I looked behind the fridge and saw what I guess is the burner? The black cylinder? It was very warm, not hot like danger but pretty warm. The insulation was I think warm. I thought someone mentioned a fuse but I could not find any fuses there.

The freezer is not freezing, but is definitely quite a bit cooler than the fridge area. The fridge itself is warm, well, like room temperature. Definitely not even a smidgen cool.

Where is the "site" hole?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #13

We had a mobile RV guy come out and look at a few things. Turns out the cooling unit WAS out. Our extended service agreement policy is going to cover everything above $200. New unit comes day after Christmas. Hooray.

Thanks to you all, I had told my DH it must be the cooling unit. He was impressed with my (our) diagnosis. Thanks everyone. A fairly happy ending here - at least as of this post. I'm assuming the new unit will be perfect. !
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
We had a mobile RV guy come out and look at a few things. Turns out the cooling unit WAS out. Our extended service agreement policy is going to cover everything above $200. New unit comes day after Christmas. Hooray.

Thanks to you all, I had told my DH it must be the cooling unit. He was impressed with my (our) diagnosis. Thanks everyone. A fairly happy ending here - at least as of this post. I'm assuming the new unit will be perfect. !
did you smell amonia or see a yellow residue on the back of the fridge?

Tags
fridge