Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Furnace Giving Me Problems

I have the Duo Therm 30,000 BTU furnace in my 1979 Dodge Fleetwood Tioga. It worked perfect for 4 months during my time in Pahrump. While heading north to Salt Lake City, Utah for the my summer stay, the furnace started giving me trouble. It will now only stay lit for about a minute then the flames go out and it blows cold air. I checked the propane regulator and it is just fine. I wonder if I went over a hard bump on the freeway and a short occurred in the circuit board. Any guess??? It has worked perfect forever, so why am I having trouble now??? I could defiantly use feedback here. Thanks
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
Just a guess but it acts as if furnace does not realize there is a flame. Check for loose wire.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaflatlander View Post
Just a guess but it acts as if furnace does not realize there is a flame. Check for loose wire.
And clean the "flame sensor" and the "sail switch".
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
complex...
did you recently add propane to your tank?
you could have gotten ''wet propane''.
does your stove still work OK?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
complex...
did you recently add propane to your tank?
you could have gotten ''wet propane''.
does your stove still work OK?

Yes my stove works just fine. I lit the oven and it stayed on the whole time. Not having problems with any other appliance. No the same propane has been in my tank from almost 2 weeks. I didn't plan on refilling so I could use what LP gas I had left for the trip home. This is acting more like an electrical problem, like a bad sensor or something.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaflatlander View Post

I wonder. Could a bad or dirty sensor in the combustion chamber of the furnace be causing the problem???
Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure if this applies to your furnace, but I just fixed mine by replacing the ECO switch. If you have an ECO (right next to the themostat on mine) it's an easy test to 'jump' the wires to see if fixes the problem (remove the two wires from the ECO and connect them together). If your furnace runs then you need a new ECO.
I'm not SURE, but I believe the ECO is an overheat switch - it turns off the furnace at 180 degree water temp.
Mine is an Atwood in a '96 coach, so none of this may apply to yours.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Hey thanks for all the help. My furnace is a Atwood Hyrdo flame from the 8500 series. After close and through examination of the furnace, I found a faulty loose wire on the back of the sail switch. I did a quick fix for now and the furnace is working great, I'll go through when I have more time to hire a helper who will go through all the wires with me and replace the loose faulty ones.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

PROBLEM SOLVED: it was a bad sail switch. The furnace ignites with no trouble everytime and runs flawlessly.
So thanks for all the help.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it lights the sail switch is good, as is the blower and a bunch of other stiff

IF it burns for a very shore (less than a minute) then shuts off, and tries again, and again then locks out and shuts dou have two or 3 suspects.. in liner order

Flame: Dirty orifice or mal-adjustment may mean flame is not burning hot enough Clean and adjust but first inspect viauslly

Flame Sensor Rod (Thermocouple) clean, replace if necessary

CXontrol board:L What failed on MY RV, Replace with DINOSAUR BOARD control board, not oem, I got mine from American RV in California. about half the price and several times the quality of the OEM. I mean this is one well built board.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If it lights the sail switch is good, as is the blower and a bunch of other stiff

IF it burns for a very shore (less than a minute) then shuts off, and tries again, and again then locks out and shuts dou have two or 3 suspects.. in liner order

Flame: Dirty orifice or mal-adjustment may mean flame is not burning hot enough Clean and adjust but first inspect viauslly

Flame Sensor Rod (Thermocouple) clean, replace if necessary

CXontrol board:L What failed on MY RV, Replace with DINOSAUR BOARD control board, not oem, I got mine from American RV in California. about half the price and several times the quality of the OEM. I mean this is one well built board.

Yes I also know the motor can be suspect in the scenario you described. As they get old the bushings can go out preventing the motor running fast enough to open the sail switch. The main xcontrol board is also in very good condition as my new Motorhome only has slightly over 38,000 miles on it. However that is not the case here. The sail switch was the culprit. The furnace is very clean, hasn't been used much and I keep it regularly cleaned with compressed air. The furnace is operating properly. It lits, runs a complete cycle, completes it's cool down cycle, then shuts off after set room temperature has been achieved. Apparently Atwood is still manufacturing this furnace because this particular model has proven to be very dependable. So thanks to everyone for your troubleshooting tips.

Tags
ace, ems, furnace, problems