Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

furnace ignites for only six seconds

Our 2001 Tradewinds rear (bathroom/bedroom)Atwood furnace is not working properly. The front furnace works perfect, so I don't believe it's a propane problem.

When I turn on the rear furnace, the fan comes on to blow out accumulated gas for about 20 seconds. Then, the burner lights and burns for only about six seconds, turns off for about 15-20 seconds, and relights again staying on for about six more seconds and then turns off again. After that, the fan continues to blow cold air, but the burner never relights.

It's my understanding that the igniter will "spark" for about six seconds after the furnace is turned on. So, I assume that the furnace ignites during those six seconds, and shuts down when the igniter stops sparking.

Has anyone encountered this problem and have a solution? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #2

Larry, we have a single furnace, Atwood 8500-IV, and we had the same problem. Turned out to be a faulty circuit board. We replaced it at a cost of $130.00 then all worked well. Hope your resolve your problem without too much difficulty.

Best of luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I wonder if the sail switch could be the problem?

Attached is a couple pages from an Atwood manual with some trouble shooting guide, maybe it'll be of some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood Troubleshhoting Guide.pdf (133.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like the sail switch or thermo coupler.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

I had the same problem. I switched the control board with the front furnace to verify the problem before buying a new board.Furnace worked fine so a new board was installed.I think if the sail switch is faulty it will not try to fire.
BOB
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

Not sure if this furnace has one or not, but my furnace at home will do the same thing. My fix is to clean the flame sensor with steel wool. The sensor will be near one of the burner jets and looks much like the old pilot sensors, only thinner. Also, it will have a wire attached instead of the thermocouple tube.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are getting ignition and it does not not stay on, the most likely problem is the igniter/flame sensor is not seeing the flame or the control board could be bad. Before pulling the furnace out, try using some good volume of highly compressed air and blow through the combustion chamber of the heat exchanger (blow into where normally the hot air comes out). Sometimes insects get into this area and build nest which restricts the flow of air. Proper air flow is needed for the burner to ignite and burn properly. We have blown out just a lot of dust on some and the furnace starts working properly. If you have debris in there you will be amazed at how much comes out. This is not to say it will correct the problem but may save you a lot of time if all it is is debris and you can blow it out. Sometimes the unit has to be pulled, torn down and cleaned manually.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it lights it is NOT the sail switch. You will get no ignition if the sail switch does not close.

I'd be looking at the flame sensor and its connection to the circuit board first. Make sure the connections are clean and the sensor in the flame area. However, it is possible the little circuit board has gone bad and simply doesn't see the input from the flame sensor thermocouple.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I think I found the problem. I checked the amount of air coming through the front furnace vs. the back one. There was alot more volume from the front furnace. When I checked further I could see a dirt-dauber nest in the combustion chamber. Knocked it loose and got some of it out, but there must still be more around the corner. Still not much volume. I have removed the furnace and now have it on my workbench and am trying to figure out how to get around the corner. I tried forced air as Wizard suggested, but might have to tear it apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #10

Can't help with advice on how to disassemble, but would suggest installing one of those screens over the outside vents to prevent those pesky little critters from setting up housekeeping in your furnace again.

Best of luck with your project, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #11

I was watchng a mudwasp checking the openings to my refrigerator.It inspired me to go to the local hardware store and buy a foot of 1/8 "wirecloth.It is 3'wide and was enough to do both furnaces,the water heater and refrigerator vent.It was much cheaper than the ready made ones for the furnace.I never saw any for the water heater or refer.
BOB
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bob,
Camco make the screens for the HWH and the refer. Depending on what you have they can be hard to find. Both screens for my refer and HWH were found at RV dealers (different dealers), over many months of looking. It was luck that I happened to go to the dealer and see them for sale. The big box RV stores carry Camco products but not for my appliances.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
Thanks guys. I think I found the problem. .... ....Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry
Compressed air.. If needed add water to it.. Blow the sucker out of there.. Blow hard

(Water blast will etch concrete if you do it right. should blow the dauber nest to debris right fast.. Then when the furnace fires it will burn off what the water misses (a paper thin layer and not all of that)

You might wish to fire it OUTSIDE The rig for 10 or 20 minutes after cleaning and drying though.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #14

I think the wirecloth cost me $1.00 to do all the openings.
Bob