Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Furnace problems

Hi, I am owner of Chevrolet stratus by r/vision on a workhorse chassis 8.1 vortex
This is my first rv, so I’m coming up for my first winter, and I would like to ask you guys for some help, when I turn my furnace on , the control thermostat is a duo therm , when I turn it on, it comes in for maybe 30 mins or so, then turns itself off, then maybe 20-30 mins later comes on, what happens if you want to have continuous heat without it turning itself off?
Secondly I’m beginning to wonder how much of a demand the fan/heater will make on my leisure batteries, can anybody comment? I’m living in wild, and have 2x marine/leisure batteries, and a 120w solar panel..
My next question is my generator, I can’t understand if it’s powered by car batteries or leisure , my question is if generator is on, Will it charge the leisure batteries? Or will it be more economical to just start the van itself and let it idle ?
Thanks for bearing with me, my last question is, the x3 floor grills in the floor, the actual heat output is not the best, where can I locate the ducting to clean/blow out?
Thanks all rv people, I’m English, so, I’m not familiar with Rvs, but I love them , and they make Euro vans look like a poor imitation.
Guitarman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #2

To have the furnace on continuously, turn the thermostat to its maximum setting.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Furnace is controlled by thermostat....when temp set point is reached furnace shutsdown (same as residential)
When room temp drops 2-5*F below thermostat temp set point furnace comes back on and repeats heating cycle.

Furnace is ALL DC and is a DC Power hog......

Generator supplies AC Power to 'coach' side and powers the coach battery charger.
Vehicle battery.......???
Idling a vehicle to charge any battery is very inefficient

As for the ducts/registers.....
Have to locate the furnace from inside and see how the duct work is connected
Most is flex hose and as such can be kinked/crushed/or obstructed by mice nests etc. OR even fallen off furnace discharge plenum/or from registers
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 AM   #4

It’s always on max, and it still turns off
Old 10-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Furnace is controlled by thermostat....when temp set point is reached furnace shutsdown (same as residential)
When room temp drops 2-5*F below thermostat temp set point furnace comes back on and repeats heating cycle.

Furnace is ALL DC and is a DC Power hog......

Generator supplies AC Power to 'coach' side and powers the coach battery charger.
Vehicle battery.......???
Idling a vehicle to charge any battery is very inefficient

As for the ducts/registers.....
Have to locate the furnace from inside and see how the duct work is connected
Most is flex hose and as such can be kinked/crushed/or obstructed by mice nests etc. OR even fallen off furnace discharge plenum/or from registers
Thanks for your reply, So using my furnace is going to kill my batteries? How do you guys survive in winter then with no shore power wild camping? My vehicle battery? I don’t know what it’s powering, I don’t understand this van, I turn the ignition Towards me to put the radio on, and the electric step keeps coming out.
If you Wanted to boil some water for coffee, what would be best, turning on the generator, and using your kettle, or using propane and boil your water?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Propane stove will be more efficient as well as give off residual heat to the coach. Please do not use stove or oven for heat as it also produces co gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman3 View Post
Thanks for your reply, So using my furnace is going to kill my batteries? How do you guys survive in winter then with no shore power wild camping? My vehicle battery? I don’t know what it’s powering, I don’t understand this van, I turn the ignition Towards me to put the radio on, and the electric step keeps coming out.
If you Wanted to boil some water for coffee, what would be best, turning on the generator, and using your kettle, or using propane and boil your water?
Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #7

There may be an issue with the furnace. If the thermostat is set to max heat it should run continuously. There may be a temperature switch designed to turn the furnace off if it gets too hot to prevent damage to the furnace or worse. I’d first check to make sure the return vent isn’t plugged or covered, and that all exit ductwork are open and not blocked.

Gen will charge the coach batteries and in many but not all mh’s charge the chassis battery. If you plan to run the furnace a lot in the wild you’ll most likely want to add additional batteries, and an additional propane source. They do like to consume both.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
There may be an issue with the furnace. If the thermostat is set to max heat it should run continuously. There may be a temperature switch designed to turn the furnace off if it gets too hot to prevent damage to the furnace or worse. I’d first check to make sure the return vent isn’t plugged or covered, and that all exit ductwork are open and not blocked.

Gen will charge the coach batteries and in many but not all mh’s charge the chassis battery. If you plan to run the furnace a lot in the wild you’ll most likely want to add additional batteries, and an additional propane source. They do like to consume both.

Thermostat set to MAX temp Setting and furnace is shutting down.......
HIGH Temp Limit Switch is probably shutting furnace down----IF fan continues to run.

HIGH Temp Limit Switch is installed in heat exchanger and if air temp exceeds limit switch set temp then it shuts off DC to circuit board which stops DC to gas valve BUT DC to FAN is still energized and Fan runs to cool heat exchanger off.
Blocked discharge ducts or obstructed air return to furnace will cause 'overheating'

IF FAN shutsdown when furnace stops then it is NOT the HIGH Temp Limit Switch....it suggests faulty Thermostat or 'Time Delay Relay/Blower Circuit'
**Fan should not shutoff when furnace does....must do a 'cool down' cycle to remove latent heat from heat exchanger

SO........
Does fan continue to run or does it shut off with furnace???????
Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #9

Thanks Tom, I’m thinking now of a log burning stove
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

I think I need medication after reading this, oh dear, thanks guys
Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

Have you got any suggestions for an additional heat source? I have a propane tank, why not use it?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #12

How about FIX the furnace......
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 AM   #13

I’m not sure the furnace is broke yet, and I’m not convinced , even if this furnace was working to full potential if I would be warm enough just with the furnace, what do you think? Can get to -20 here, but , unlikely , also, I’m worried about the fan drawing all power from my 2 leisure batteries, wish I could get the fridge out of the van, then get a log burner, but, I have 2 copper gas pipes under fridge I’m scared to touch
Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #14

Am I just naive? I never heard of copper gas pipes. Too soft and breakable.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, furnace, problem, problems