Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Gas grill doesn't work off factory supply line

My 2018 DRV fifth wheel has a gas supply line from (2) tanks for an external grill that also provides fuel to the stove and heating system. The factory grill line is a quick connect fitting. I had a quick connect fitting installed on a typical propane tank line fir my grill ( had them cut off the propane connection and crimp a quick connect fitting to mate the factory supplied female fitting). My grill only gets to about 200 degrees. I can hook up my fire pit to the same factotory connection and it works fine. I can also use the mini propane tank on my grill and it gets to 400 plus degrees. Im at a loss!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #2

See if your grill has separate pressure regulator. Two regulators in the same line cause what you describe. Or blockage in the line.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

The quick connect system is AFTER the regulator that keeps the gas in your system low pressure. Your grill probably had a regulator too. So there is not enough pressure to heat up your grill. They sell some grills that have no regulator that can connect directly to the quick connect. Otherwise you have to remove the regulator.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

You have connected a low pressure propane system to a high pressure grill. You are lucky it lights at all.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Sounds like you are double regulated when connecting to the quick connect on the camper, you will need to remove the regulator on the grill.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
My 2018 DRV fifth wheel has a gas supply line from (2) tanks for an external grill that also provide fuel to the stove and heating system. The factory line is a quick connect fitting. I had a quick connect fitting installed on a typical propane tank line ( had them cut off the propane connection and crimp a quick connect fitting to mate the factory supplied female fitting). My grill only gets to about 200 degrees. I can hook up my fire pit to the same factotory connection and it works fine. I can also use the mini propane tank on my grill and it gets to 400 plus degrees. Im at a loss!!
Your Propane supply line off the RV is regulated pressure meaning, it comes out of the tank, through a regulator to the appliances.
Your grill however has a regulator that is designed to accept Propane directly from the tank or protable bottle. That's why it builds heat with a portable cylinder and not with the line from the RV.
You need to remove the regulator from the grill and it will build heat just like your portable fire pit which does not have a regulator.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Holy cr?p that was fast! I also considered the fact the regulator on the grill was the issue, however I also connected it to my old fashion stand alone tank. Same connections ( I rigged a quick connect on that tank as well) and still not enough heat. I have no problem purchasing a grill that doesn't have a built in regulator
Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

Holy cr?p that was fast! I also considered the fact the regulator on the grill was the issue, however I also connected it to my old fashion stand alone tank. Same connections ( I rigged a quick connect on that tank as well) and still not enough heat. I have no problem purchasing a grill that doesn't have a built in regulator if that's the issue, however I still can't wrap my head around it.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Okay, maybe a stupid question but are the typical gas grill tanks regulated at the tank valve? I assume not since most grills have regulators.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
Okay, maybe a stupid question but are the typical gas grill tanks regulated at the tank valve? I assume not since most grills have regulators.
Some grills have a regulator that is combined with the flame control knob. These are usually the smaller, cheaper grills that are designed to use disposable propane cylinders. It will be difficult to eliminate the regulator on this type of grill. You can get adapter hoses that connect to the grill in place of the disposable cylinder, but this hose will have to connect to a Tee before the pressure regulator of your RV.

Larger, more expensive grills, especially those designed to run off a 20# propane tank, usually have a separate regulator. The regulator for this type of grill is usually located at the tank end of the hose. Just eliminate the regulator and get the proper adapter to mate with the quick disconnect on your low pressure LP line.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. You are correct, it's a nice cheap grill with no way to eliminatebthenregulator, as it's built into the flame adjuster. I'll look for a different grill.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #12

I ran into a similar problem, the issue turned out to be the fitting adapter, I ended up drilling a larger hole in it (still only about 1/8 inch or less) which solved the problem.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've done this a couple of times. Most gas grills will have a built in pressure regulator. I added a T fitting just before the large regulator on the RV main propane tank and plumbed my gas grill hose to it. I also added a cut off valve at the end of the gas grill hose just before the quick disconnect.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #14

The Weber portable series of grills have a regulator that can easily be removed and replaced with the quick connect fitting. I modified my Weber grill this way and now I use the quick connect hose that came with the camper to run the Weber grill.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas