Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Gas leak in Atwood oven with oven turned off

I can smell propane in the oven of my Atwood stove. All three burners and oven are turned off.

Can fuel leak from the oven burner when the oven if off? If not, is there a problem with the central valve under the burners? Or somethin' else I don't know?

Thanks much.

Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Sometimes when the pilot goes out, either by turning it off or running out of gas you will get a residual smell of gas. Check your oven knob to make sure it pushes in and out freely when in lighting pilot position.
If it gets stuck, a small amount of gas may be leaking through the pilot tube. You might want to look behind the stove to make sure the pilot tubing hasn't rubbed against something to create a leak. The pilot assembly or tubing is very easy to replace. Make sure your propane detector is working.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Does your range have standing pilots? On some ranges, the oven knob has two OFF positions. One just says "OFF," and when the knob is in that position the burner is off but gas is being fed to the pilot. If you push in and turn the knob just a little further past "OFF" there is a "Pilot Off" position that shuts off gas to the pilot.

If you have one of those ranges, either make sure the pilot is lit when in the "OFF" position or make sure it is in the "Pilot Off" position. If it's in the "OFF" position and the pilot is not lit, you will smell gas in the oven.

If your range has no standing pilots, there is obviously some other problem.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I have no pilot light in my stove, and the gas leaks even with the oven fully shut off. Talked with Atwood day after this post. Likely that the master valve under the burners is leaking. I've ordered one and will hopefully install it myself. Worth a try....

Sure wish I had a shutoff valve for the stove, so I could run my LP furnace. Nights get down to 40 here in the Cascades.

Oh yeah, we're camping!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #5

I am a retired Master Plumber with 50 years of experience.
Be very careful working on LP gas or any gas. Use only the yellow pipe dope made especially for gas. Test with soap bubbles before any matches are lit in the area. Test very carefully. Then test with your nose. When all is well turn on the burners and oven for a minute or so then turn them off for 5 minutes and test with your nose again.
DO NOT TEST WITH A MATCH OR ANY OTHER FLAME.
LP gas is heavier than air and a leak will puddle on the floor and makes a big bang when ignited.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Ralph for your good advice. I have yellow pipe tape for the job. Is it as good as pipe dope?

I also keep a very sensitive female nose in the trailer for such occasions.

If I don't feel confident in the repair, I will have someone else fix it. You betcha.

Are you in Oregon? You should keep your skills up with practice.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a LP Detector in your 5th wheel?
Leaking LP gas will give you headaches while sleeping and "if you wake up" and put on a light a disaster can and will usually happen.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Do you have a LP Detector in your 5th wheel?
Leaking LP gas will give you headaches while sleeping and "if you wake up" and put on a light a disaster can and will usually happen.
Thanks. I do have an LP detector at floor level in the kitch area. I pushed the TEST button and heard a shrill beep in return.

I also tested it with a butane lighter, holding the unlit gas emitting lighter up to the sensor. No beep. Is that correct? Must I test it with a propane device?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I replaced this valve [$69].

Had to pull the stove out from the wall to replace the oven sensor. Pretty easy repair.

No more smell.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is possible for a valve to be defective and not fully shut off.

It is also a fact that propane gas is odorless, Thus the processors add "Essence of Skunk" if I'm not mistaken to the gas so you can smell it.. (might be a different stink) Now this mixes well with the gas but it can tend to "Settle out" and when your propane tank nears empty the concentration of aroma increases.

NORMALLY this chemical is destroyed by burning in the flame of the burner but if the concentration gets high enough.. all of it may not be burned up, and some "Stink" remains.

Or so they tell me.

Tags
atwood, gas, leak