Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GE JVM1490SH01 Convection problem

Hi All. The Convection part of our oven has started to fail. First noticed it when setting the control to 350 degs only heated the oven to abou 320. Set the oven, wait for the beep oven ready signal and temp was 30 degs below the setting. Fast forward a couple of months. I set the oven to 350. Wait for the ready signal and the temp is 250. I set the oven to max 425 and I get 340 after the ready beep oven ready signal.
I'm thinking temp sensor as the problem.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Rick you might certainly be correct. Inside the microwave is the service diagram....and when I say inside I mean in the opened chassis. If you are not getting any codes that dispay an error the thermistor that handles the temperature in the food chamber might certainly be failing .... It is a replaceable component. I have my JVM190 opened up and it looks only mildly insane but has easily replaceable components. You will need take it off the wall to service it.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ordered both the Thermistor and the TCO. For the parts and shipping I spent 72 bucks. For the little extra cost of the TCO and being it has to come off the wall anyway, why not. I will also put in a new light bulb. The last one I installed only last a couple of months. I don't think they light the heat so much.
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #4

Let me know which part resolves the issue. Like your newer unit my older JVM has some failed part issue....the magnitron went out.... leaving you deciding whether to scrap the unit or buy the $120 part. I placed a Magic Chef microwave only hanging unit in its place for $99 from Home Depot in the mean time as I twiddle my thumbs. But having that little oven was nice.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll be installing both parts as one time so it will be hard to know which one fixed it. I'll bet it's the thermistor. The TCO is listed as a fuse.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

I am betting on the thermistor too. I have not called my TECH buddies...I used to work at the GE Answer Center in Louisville KY and was surrounded by the TECHLINE folks....these are the techs that help techs. Then I serviced everything cause ...help was so plentiful. But I still have some old pals still in the helpline business.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problem solved. It was the thermistor. Oven still take a while to preheat but at least we saved $500 and got it to work again.
Cheers