Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #1

Generac quietpac 75d starter replacement

Hello again,
Our Generac seems to have been invaded by gremlins. It has always started hard , I went so far to install another 12volt battery right next to it to help . It still started but slow cranking. The starter drive gear was stuck in the ring gear a while back so I had to get to it and drove it out , worked for about 6 months . Well it finally gave up , just clicked and maybe one try at spinning the engine and really drawing the batteries. So , ordered one off amazon and here I am . Put a hydraulic jack under the frame, removed the cross support under the generator to get the panel off. Disconnected battery cable , removed the cable from the starter , removed the bolts and dropped it out. Installed in reverse order . Had to remove some paint where the ground cable attached to the engine/starter, works great. Spins it over like it should. Unimpressed with this generator , with only 250 hours it has taken lots of maintenance. IMOP. Now it should be dependable for a while I would hope, we are still using our Honda 2000 to run the electrical in the coach , at least I can start it.. lol. Jim
Zapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
yep, that is the way we alfa owners do it also. Don't blame the generator for a starter. Started is not made by the engine manufacture or Generac. Generac only installed generator to a Shiburta motor.

By the way, bad connections and trying to start without a cool down for the starter will shorten it's life.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #3

I read the engine is a Mitsubishi, anyway it starts and runs for now. Who knows how it was started before I bought it . I took the bad starter apart , the brushes were worn down pretty good. It won't start up unless I open the hood, press the glow plug button for 20 seconds and the fuel pump runs. Hit the starter , fires right up. For as little hours on it , sure has taken lots of work.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Not a mitsubishi. Look top right side above fuel solenoid.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like mine. Has been in the shop three times for the same problem. 1st time in shop, they replaced two starters from Generac and then generac told them to get one aftermarket and that worked for about 6-7 months and then it went bad, sometimes. It was hit or miss as to whether or not it would start. Took it into another shop and they replaced it again, but the starter manf wouldn't warranty their starter and so a different brand was used. That one lasted about a year and into another shop as the previous one went out of business and they changed the starter again.
Soooo, I'm trying a nother shop that was better recommended for their gennie work on all brands,especially generac. I've got three more months on my Cornerstone warranty and they have covered all the repairs on it so far, so hopefully this'll do it.
Funny thing was that I took it to them, the tech told me to start it and sure enuff, it started right up, blew out some grey smoke, ran for 60 seconds and stopped. After that, all it would do was what it usually did and just crank VERRRRYYYY slowly and overheated the circuit breaker, but no start. .
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Sounds like mine. Has been in the shop three times for the same problem. 1st time in shop, they replaced two starters from Generac and then generac told them to get one aftermarket and that worked for about 6-7 months and then it went bad, sometimes. It was hit or miss as to whether or not it would start. Took it into another shop and they replaced it again, but the starter manf wouldn't warranty their starter and so a different brand was used. That one lasted about a year and into another shop as the previous one went out of business and they changed the starter again.
Soooo, I'm trying a nother shop that was better recommended for their gennie work on all brands,especially generac. I've got three more months on my Cornerstone warranty and they have covered all the repairs on it so far, so hopefully this'll do it.
Funny thing was that I took it to them, the tech told me to start it and sure enuff, it started right up, blew out some grey smoke, ran for 60 seconds and stopped. After that, all it would do was what it usually did and just crank VERRRRYYYY slowly and overheated the circuit breaker, but no start. .
When I bought this mh one of the factors was the generator must start and run. Camping world did pretty good with that issue, took awhile but got it done. The generator started hard when we first tried it, they said it's bad grounds. Fixed that , then voltage regulator shut down the unit.They ordered another one, took a while took a while to get it , installed it started and ran great. When I needed to use it again, of course it cranked really hard but ran. After reading the manual of course, there is a starting procedure . Long story short, this was a used rv, who knows how it was previously taken care of , and now it works great ! Ready for the next owner , lol !
Old 02-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same thing is happening to the gennie. Installed the new starter and it turned over very slowly and built up a lot of heat in the wires and was drawing $)) amps. shut it off, let it cool for awhile and tried it again, started right up. Let it run for about 20 minutes, stopped it and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then cranked it and VERRRYY slow and then stopped. Starter gone. got another starter from them and it wouldn't quite fit as the shaft was 1/2 inch too long. got the third one and it would hardly start, then did, then died and no go. Soooo, Generac says go with aftermarket and are waiting to get that. Now, I woke up the other night and starting thinking about mebbee it's not the starter but something else like the fly wheel or the crank is bent. Next morning called the boss at the shop and said that I woke up and he says the same thing and now we're thinking the flywheel may be the wrong size or bent and the times it's starting is when it's in a spot that isn't out of shape.
Then both of us figgered that mebbee we should put a used unit in if the warranty will pay for it. Emailed Colelaw as they said they have a couple and they have one with over 1600 hours and another with over 1700 and they want $5,195 for each. HOLY COW, they must be gold plated for that much and that doesn't include shipping.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, generac, quiet, replace, replacement, starter