Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Generator

I have an onan 7000 gas when it,s runnning i,m getting a surging if i turn on the a/c the surging becomes worse and th a/c surges as well i cleaned the carbeurator changed the plug and replaced the fuel filter which seemed to help a little. Any thoughts
Mjarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Please provide additional information so we can try to help you. How old is the generator? When was the last time you ran the generator and it acted normally? Is your unit a motorhome? How much fuel is in the motorhome, some generators quit when the tank is at or below 1/4 tank. I gather you have changed the fuel also? Are you running ethanol fuel in an older unit? Check that all of your fuel lines and fittings are tight. An air leak can cause surging. Check the fuel lines themselves. I have seen fuel line that look good on the outside deteriorate on the inside and cause an obstruction. Have you checked the output of the fuel pump? Check the setting on your governor.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #3

Generator Surging

Thanks for the help it is a 2000 georgie boy so I assume the generator is that old as well running on a full tank with new fuel using 89 octane for the v10. Used sea foam in last tank and it did help a little. So i replaced the filter just sprayed carbuerator cleaner in carbuerator while running. Replaced the plug. This did help a little. I have read somewhere that these carbuerators can not be taken apart and cleaned, I,m thinking it,s a carbuerator problem but wanted to get some feed back from the forum. thank you for your thoughts
Mjarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It sounds like the main jet is partially plugged in the carburetor. It can be taken apart and cleaned. I have done many. Running heavy doses of Seafoam through it may eventually clear it up, but it is bad for it to run lean.
Good luck and Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with unplanned.it sounds like a dirty jet. From your post I assumed that you had taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #6

I run Sea Foam in my fuel tank at all times...I keep a few gallon jugs of it handy in the storage bay (and in my garage for my vehicles at home). I'll probably at some point install a bypass so I can run it directly (mixed heavier than normal) in a line at the generator for a few minutes every few months.

There are some nice YouTube videos on using this to clean the fuel system in Onan generators.

It's one of those things that the old guys at an auto parts store will tell you is a magic elixir...and in this case they are right. This stuff has been around for decades...since the 1940's at least. To me it's cheaper in both money and time to use it than it is to deal with the issues from saving a few bucks by not using it.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #7

Easy to work on. I gave mine a good cleaning. But my problem ending up being fuel inside my float. Something to look for if you take it apart. I had the carb apart for awhile and then out of the corner of my eye i noticed there was all air bubble in it. Drilled 2 holes and a bunch of gasoline came out of it. Sealed it back up and it seems to be working great. Minus that I had to take my gen out to replace the coupler that happened to break.
Click image for larger version

Name:	dfgh.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	165986
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a similar problem back in January. Since I was close to the required 500 hour service I took it to my local Cummins/Onan dealer. They did all the required 500 service and said the surging had something to do with the "brush block" whatever that is. I have not had a problem since but I have only put 30 hours on since the service.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Do you regularly use/'exercise' your genny's ?

Best thing for them is to USE them under load for a couple of hours every month.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Do you regularly use/'exercise' your genny's ?

Best thing for them is to USE them under load for a couple of hours every month.
We run ours every time we take it out (typically about twice monthly) for 15-30 minutes on our way out/back, with AC or heat pump running to put it under load. If on a longer journey we also end up running it a few times for the microwave or AC if stopped for an hour or so at a rest stop, or overnighting at a Walmart.

I also change the oil every 25-50 hours of run time. I have a LiquiVac Oil Changing System for Small Engine which makes it easy and mess-free to suck the oil out...and when full (about two changes) I'll run the container up to an oil change place and empty it (they all seem to take old oil as a courtesy). Inexpensive insurance that takes me all of 5 minutes to do. Cleanup consists putting a small plug in the end of the hose, and then wiping the outside of the hose. I have a small plastic bin in which I store it, a few quarts of oil, a funnel and some rags in the storage bays under the motorhome (so I can change mid-trip if needed).

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator